Monday, June 27, 2011

100 Summer Delights

"A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing,
the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken."
-- James Dent --

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh my, what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine headin' my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

Well, it’s here, folks – one of the best seasons of the year. This week’s Monday post is a list of 100 things I love love LOVE about summer.


Gardening!

Fireflies

The smell of impending rain

Hiking trails

Wildflowers by the highway

Summer thunderstorms

Long days, short nights

Farmer's markets

Picnics

Daytrips to the beach

Swimming

Halter tops

Long hikes in the cool, quiet woods

Sandcastles

Ice cream

Backyard parties

Visiting national parks

Vacation, Staycation

Iced coffee

Eating outside

Cicadas singing

Sunny days

Blowing bubbles

Sidewalk chalk

Car wash fundraisers

Road trips

No socks!

Fairs

The sound of crickets

Open windows

Sitting in the shade on a hot day

Raspberries

Blackberries

A cool breeze on a hot day

Flip flops

Popsicles

Fudgsicles

Bicycling

Orioles

Hummingbirds

Ladybugs

Bees

Dragonflies...

Chipmunks

Birds at the feeders

Coconut-scented suntan lotion!

Sandals

BBQs

No snow!

Watermelon!!!



Warmer weather

No coat, hat, gloves, scarf, boots...

The feel of the grass under bare feet

Shorts

Garden centers

Lemonade stands

Sundresses

Corn on the cob!

The shower/bath after a day of gardening

Long, leisurely walks with my hubby

Coneflowers

Chipmunks

Waking up to birds singing

Sand between your toes

Roses

Picnics

Motorcycles

Butterflies

The shade under a tree on a hot day

Cotton candy

Cool cotton sheets

Herbs from your garden

Blowing bubbles

Water balloons

Fireworks

Outdoor concerts

Blueberries

Cantaloupe

Lemonade stands

Garage sales

Walking barefoot

Baby birds

Gazanias

Corn fields

My wedding anniversary

Garden gnomes

Bird baths

Sunflowers

Nectarines

Cherries

Canada day

My children’s birthdays (both summer babies!)

My husband’s birthday

Amusement parks

Ice cream trucks

Trees in bloom

Baby rabbits

Clematis flowers

Hydrangeas in bloom

End of season garden sales!!



What are some of the things you love love LOVE about summer?

8 comments:

  1. I love your list!
    You had me yes yes yessing, all the way along,lol

    Lately what I've loved about Summer, is sitting outside, eating dinner on my porch.
    I've also enjoyed the storms-tornado watch!-and finding bugs on me,then gently taking them out to a bush, and that mad mad rush to get in as much FUN as one can before the yuck comes back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the James Dent quote. Sadly my lawnmower is electric. It doesn't break :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love summer storms too, and dining al fresco, and summer drives, and ALL of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list, Martha---I think you pretty much covered a lot of what I like about summer. The fireflies have been AMAZING here this year. Not only twinkling near the ground, but up high above the trees where they look like stars! I also love sitting in my porch swing eating an orange cremesicle, looking at the mountains and sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LaelShine, our summer season is very short, and we really enjoy it while it's here. Spring was cool and damp, so I'm hoping the summer season makes up for it. Fingers crossed...

    ======

    My husband mows the lawn, so I don't feel that pain. I've been creating new flowers beds as time passes, which removes more and more of our lawn and will help cut down his work. I'm not a big fan of lawns to begin with, and I don't mind getting rid of most of it.

    ====

    Debra, the long days of sunlight are the best! Sadly, the days have already started getting shorter. [sad face]

    =====

    Tatiana, there are so many things to love about summer that I could have easily added a hundred more 'likes'. Too bad it's such a short season.

    ======

    Beth, I love fireflies! I haven't seen any yet this year, but I hope I do soon. They're incredible. I also enjoy sitting outside on our swings -- and for me it's the fudgsicle! Mmmm...mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list - you just about covered it! The sound of the lawnmower, crickets and open windows are three of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, if only we had warmer weather in Canada. I think that's one of the things I really crave. Spring and summer are my favourite seasons of the year.

    ReplyDelete