Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Domates Me Avga (Tomatoes With Eggs)

My mother used to make this recipe regularly when I was growing up, and I loved it! I didn’t discover until years later that it’s an authentic Greek recipe; I was under the impression for the longest time that it was an omelet recipe that she had literally made up by throwing together tomatoes, eggs and a few other simple ingredients. It turns out that many other people are doing the same thing. It doesn’t really matter; I’d share it with all of you even if it was unique.


Domates Me Avga (Tomatoes With Eggs)

Ingredients:

2 Eggs
2-3 medium tomatoes, washed, chopped, seeds removed
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions:

Beat the eggs (like scrambled eggs), and set them aside.

Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium-low heat, add tomatoes, salt and pepper, and simmer until the juice from the tomatoes has evaporated and the tomatoes are soft (this will take anywhere from 5 – 15 minutes, maybe even longer). Stir the tomatoes occasionally to keep them from sticking.

When the tomatoes are ready, add the eggs and stir the contents gently (not like you would for scrambling; just enough to blend) until the eggs are cooked.

Serve with crusty bread and feta cheese. This recipe is delicious hot or cold. You can also spread it between two slices of bread and eat as a sandwich. It’s delicious no matter how you eat it!

8 comments:

  1. I am going to try this recipe - mabe even todat :) It kind of reminds me of an Italian dish as well, like something Cher's mom would have cooked for her in Moonstruck - one of my all-time favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moonstruck! I haven't thought about that film for years. I think I'm way over due to see it. Did you make this dish? If you did, how did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha, I did in fact try this today at noon. I really liked it :) After the tomatoes were halfway through I added in some very thinly sliced onion (practically slivers) and reduced further...I can't seem to eat much without adding onion! I may even try a wee bit of fresh garlic next time. I bet this is very good using one's own tomatoes when in season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding onions sounds great; I add them to a lot of dishes. And I also add garlic to many meals; I like my meals to be a little spicy. You could pretty much add anything to this recipe to enhance it. Some cheese that would melt and blend with the eggs and tomatoes is a great choice. The sky's the limit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a suggestion,the tomatoes in first not the oil when the tomatoes are completely dehydrated in the frying pan then add the olive oil wait 30 seconds and then pour in the eggs. I promise you will intensify the tomatoe taste even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree my mom always put in tomatoes first with onions then oil then eggs and serve with clumbled feta on top and crusty Greek bread....sooooo good classic summer dish (stapatsada).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feta cheese is a wonderful addition. And the crusty bread...mmm...delicious!

      Delete