Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pork Stroganoff

This is one of my daughter’s favourite recipes. It’s been awhile since I made it, and every now and then when she remembers it, she asks when I’m going to make it. I feel kind of guilty for taking so long to prepare this meal again, but with so many recipes that I’m eager to try, it’s understandable that this has been put aside. I’ll get to it eventually, but in the meantime, maybe you’d like to try it.

Pork Stroganoff

Ingredients:

12 ounces lean pork tenderloin
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 ounce all purpose flour (3 tbsp)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 ¾ cups fresh chicken or vegetable stock
4 ½ ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ tsp ground nutmeg
4 tbsp low-fat unsweetened yogurt, plus extra to serve (you can also use sour cream)
salt and pepper
white rice, freshly boiled, to serve
ground nutmeg, to garnish

Pick up a lean cut of meat; trim away excess fat
Preparation:

1 – Trim away any excess fat and silver skin from the pork, then cut the meat into slices ½ inch thick.

2 – Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the pork, onion and garlic for 4 – 5 minutes until lightly browned.

3 – Stir in the flour and tomato paste, pour in the stock, and stir to mix thoroughly.

4 – Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, seasoning and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the pork is tender and cooked through.

5 – Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the yogurt.

6 – Serve the pork and sauce on a bed of rice with an extra spoonful of yogurt, and garnish with a dusting of ground nutmeg.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I have recipes like that as well that my family will wistfully mention...hoping that perhaps I'll get off my butt and make it for them! haha What more often occurs though, is that I'll make a dish and the reaction is "You haven't made this in so long I forgot how good it is" I like that when it happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of recipes that my family would love for me to make regularly, but I really believe they'd get sick of them if I did. So, I also like when they haven't eaten something they like for awhile and really appreciate it. And this time of year, with gardening season in full force, I tend to slack off with the meals. They don't get the really cool recipes until the end of sumer. Now it's the 'quick and easy' ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I tried out this recipe today and I have to admit that it was actually better than I expected. I am not a meat eater, so I did it with chicken breast. My boyfriend loved it. Have you tried it with beef? Beef I can handle, but pork no...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellas, chicken breast is a great choice for this recipe. I often change the recipe to something I prefer and it works out well. I haven't tried it with beef. If you do, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete