Wednesday, July 6, 2011

And The Blooms Go On

“Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without
feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity.”
- Lindley Karstens -

Our spring was cool and wet, and the beginning of summer has been hot and dry. But despite the tiresome weather, my garden plants seem determined to grow, grow, grow and bloom, bloom, bloom. There are flowers everywhere I look. Some make a bold appearance; others are a little more timid. No matter how they show themselves, they’re all beautiful. Here’s another round of flowers.


Armeria maritima 'Rosea' is a tiny little thing with tiny little flowers. Very cute, though.




The lovely Astilbe arendsii 'Bressingham Beauty' in bloom.




Can there be anything more beautiful than a Clematis in bloom? I have three in my garden. This one is 'Rhapsody'.





This is Gaillardia 'dazzler'. The name is so perfect for it, isn't it?




Helleborus hybridus 'Peppermint Ice' didn't shower me with too many flowers, but at least there were a few. Maybe next year it'll be better.



Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' has gorgeous foliage and very pretty flowers, but it's extremely invasive. I don't want to give it up because it's so pretty, so I've planted it in a pot that I've buried in the ground. We'll see how that goes.




Hydrangea macrophylla 'Nikko Blue' is my pride and joy. It was an itsy bitsy thing when I planted it last year, and although it still has a long way to go before it reaches the 4 - 6 foot height that it promises, it's grown a lot since last summer. And it's blooming!



Aren't the flowers just amazing?



I never did finish removing all the liliums from my garden. And thank goodness I didn't. Despite being chewed to pieces by those evil red lily beetles, some of the remaining liliums bloomed. This is the gorgeous 'Navona'.




These small blooms belong to Penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red'.





This is Rudbeckia hirta 'Sonora'. Stunning...




My hens are having chicks... Sempervivum tectorum in bloom.



This pretty little flower belongs to Tradescantia virginiana.



And last, but certainly not least, Trollius chinensis 'Golden Queen' The flowers really are a golden colour.



The best part of all is that only about half my plants have bloomed, which means there’ll be a lot more surprises springing up around the garden. I’ll take whatever I can get. Our summers are much too short, so every little bloom counts.

4 comments:

  1. Stunning pics :0 I can see that we are still a few weeks behind you guys.

    I especially love the Gaillardia dazzler - Wow, it is certainly well named. Also the Tradescantia virginiana - I am partial to blue and purple flowers.

    Congrats on the award from She Who Seeks - it's well deserved, I love heading over here everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you so inspire me!
    I love to garden but I've come to realize that I often bite off more than I can chew. Its so nice to enjoy your photos and not have to worry about killing them with my negligence. That dazzler is something else..they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos! And to think, there are even more blooms to come. It makes me think I need to find more sunny spots in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jane; that's really sweet of you to say! I enjoy having you over here, so drop by whenever you'd like. I really enjoy your blog, and will always stop in when you post something. My garden is a source of joy for me; so many wonderful things going on.

    ======

    LaelShine, no one is born knowing how to garden, so don't be too hard on yourself. I've killed my fair share of plants to get to where I am. And I still have a long way to go. I learn something new every day...sometimes the hard way :/

    ======

    Thanks, Tricky Nag. Yup, there are a lot more blooms to come! I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete