Monday, July 25, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

“Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love
and to work and to play and to look up at the stars.”

I’m a very simple person, so it doesn’t take much to make me happy. I don’t chase fashion or follow trends or try to keep up with the Joneses. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

That being said, the list of things that bring me joy are so basic and so uncomplicated that not a day goes by that I don’t get to enjoy at least one of them, usually more. This week I’d like to share with you some of my guilty pleasures.


1) 70s and 80s Music – Play a song from the past two decades and chances are I won’t recognize it, not unless it was extremely popular at some point, and you couldn’t possibly have missed it. But play a song from the 70s and 80s, and more often than not, I’ll tell you which one it is and who sings it. I may even sing along with it. Yuppers, I’m a 70s and 80s girl. That’s where I spent my youth, and that’s where my favourite music comes from.

2) New Plants – Can you ever have enough plants? Indoors or out? Not in my world. Somehow, like magic, I always manage to squeeze one more into my home or garden, despite how many are squeezed in there already. Just one more, I promise myself. And then I break the promise and pick up another, and another. Can’t help myself. There are just too many beautiful plants calling out to me at the garden centers. I am shamelessly weak.

3) Cheesecake – There are very few sweets that I like, and this is one of them. But not just any kind of cheesecake. I need the traditional, New York style cheesecake with lots of strawberries on it, not the chocolate-style nonsense. I could live with substituting the strawberries with cherries or blueberries, but that’s it. Don’t alter the rest of the cake!

4) Pizza – If I was allowed to eat only one food for the rest of my life, it would undoubtedly be pizza. The world would be bleak without this precious food.
5) Long, Hot Baths – Quick showers are usually what I opt for, but every now and then I slip into a warm bubble bath, and stay there for at least an hour. With a good book, of course.

6) Books, Books, Books - Reading books, purchasing books, hanging around the bookstore...as long as there are books involved, I’m there. I am a voracious reader that keeps lugging books home. And now that you can order them online, well, they just keep piling up. Bliss...

7) Thrift Shops – As I get older, I find myself enjoying thrift shops more and more, not only for the low price tags, but also for the unique finds. Where else can you run across a pet rock, one of the nuttiest fads of the 1970s?

8) Peanut M&Ms – In a perfect world, all the comfort foods (like these delectable chocolate-covered peanuts) would be a dietary food, and I’d be able to munch on them daily. But alas, they are loaded with calories, so I rarely eat them. [Sad face]

9) Blogging – I love my blog. It’s my online journal where I can do some writing, upload my photos, express my opinion and share some humour. It’s also where I’ve met some really cool people from other areas of the world.

10) Taking Pictures – I’ve been snapping photos as far back as I can remember. And I’ve never stopped. I have tons of photo albums -- and they keep growing. Imagine how thrilled I was when digital cameras came along? Can you say oh-so happy?

11) Road Trips – Secretly (and it won’t be a secret after this post), I fantasize about jumping in my car, hitting the road and never looking back. I dream about driving cross country (USA and Canada), visiting different places and just wandering from city to city and town to town with no permanent address. (There must be an eclectic, adventure-seeking side to me. Or I’m heading toward a middle-age crisis.) But this won’t happen because there are people that love me, and there are people that I love, and I won’t (shouldn’t) abandon them. So, the closest I come to this urge is getting in the car with family members (who keep me restrained) and doing short-distance road trips to neighbouring towns and interesting tourist attractions.

12) Fudgsicles – When I was growing up, these were my favourite frozen treats. Years later, they still are. Fudgsicles are a deliciously drippy snack with their smooth chocolatey flavour that is not too sweet.


13) Popcorn – Air popped. In the microwave. With butter-flavoured cooking spray and whatever spices appeal to you. Result=delicious & low fat. Yummy.

14) Smirnoff Twisted Coolers (Raspberry Flavour) – I barely ever consume alcohol because I don’t really like it. But whenever I do happen to have a drink at a party, this is what I choose. If it’s available, of course. Very tasty. And it gives you a good buzz.

15) Gardening – During the winter months, I can be found with my nose pressed up against the window, whimpering at the inability to get outside and hang around in my garden. When spring finally rolls in, GERONIMO, I race out to my garden to embrace it. Day after blissful day. Chores are left undone. Groceries don’t get picked up. The family is hungry. Pffft... Who cares? It’s my favourite time of the year, and I’m insensitive towards anything that tries to get between me and my garden.

16) Licorice – Twizzlers. Strawberry twists. Oh my.


17) Trivia-Style Game Shows – OHMYGOD...when did this happen? 30 years ago (when I was a teen), I wouldn’t be caught dead watching a nerdy game show like Jeopardy. And now? Now I look forward to it. And feel exhilarated when I give the right questions to some of the answers. I get just as stupid with ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire’.

18) Afternoon Naps – If life didn’t get in the way so much, I’d be enjoying afternoon naps a little more often. And my perfect nap includes a good book, a few comfy pillows to prop myself up on, and a rainy or snowy day to make me sleepy. When all that’s in place, it’s a matter of minutes before I drift off to snooze city...

19) Board Games – I’ve never outgrown my love for board games. Or my ruthless competitiveness. I play to win. Even with my kids. So much for cultivating their self esteem.

20) Ice Cream – Chocolate chip, heavenly hash and cookie dough...these are my favourite flavours of this most sinful comfort food. And a scoop of each in one sitting is heaven.

What are some of the things you enjoy?

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you on music, and naps, books, and definitely road trips. I too dream of epic car journeys with no scheules or time limits.

    I'd also add coffee - that first cup of the day whether it's on the deck or at my desk.

    Food - I love to eat and each season has its pleasures. I am loving apricots as we speak.

    Pets - they add such joy and silliness to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold Coca-Cola in a glass bottle. Dove dark chocolate. Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with doubled chips. Devils food chocolate cake with chocolate icing. (I seem to have chocolate issues.)

    As a kid I loved orange sherbert push-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya on the Twizzlers but I'm a Creamsicle girl, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed by how much alike we are, Martha. I'm with you on almost all these (except maybe the 70's/80's music and the licorice). And I do like my popcorn totally buttered. :-)

    I have the same dream of seeing the U.S. and Canada, which is funny since I'm such a homebody. I've actually been unable to travel much beyond my own state, but Tom and I hope we're able to take some epic roadtrips when we retire. If we can afford it, that is. Fortunately, we've perfected the art of cheap travel over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tatiana - Oh yes, that first cup of coffee is heaven! And pets? Couldn't live without them.

    ----

    @Debra - Believe it or not, I've never even tried a creamsicle. Not once. For all I know, I could be a creamsicle girl, too. I just don't know it yet...

    ----

    @Beth - We have a lot of things in common; that's why we like each other :) And it's so funny you saying you're a homebody, because so am I. But I do have this desire to see so many places that I'm curious about. I don't know what the future has in store, but it would be wonderful if it includes some traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ WebDebris - Ha ha ha.... Well, I wouldn't say you have issues. You just love your chocolate. Lots and lots of it! I'm not a big chocolate lover; there are only a few chocolate-type foods I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on all of your little so called "guilty pleasures". When I read the words "heavenly hash" in your fav. ice creams... my mouth started to drip and I started dreaming of double scoop cones. As for the road trips... one day old friend we will get into that car and just go... have wanted to do that forever! I say begin in Kingston, make our way across Canada to Vancouver, then down south to California, and further south to Peru! Then get across the Amazon to Argentina and then Brazil and start making our way north again with stops at the Grand Canyon, New Orleans and of course Disney world for me!!! Then back to our home town :-) The Penut MMS made their mark on my butt all these years and I have yet to completely shake them off... and as for the pizza... if its montreal type from Jean-Talon... I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be a dream trip, Hellas! Oh, to be free like that; that would be something. As for the pizza: you couldn't have grown up where we did without developing a love for 'Miss Montreal Restaurant' pizza! I still have it when I visit in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete