Friday, July 8, 2011

My Sweetest, Cutest Backyard Visitor

My garden always puts a smile on my face. A flower getting ready to unfurl, a bee buzzing around me, a feathery friend splashing in the birdbath, a baby bird sitting on my finger (okay, this is a rare experience), a butterfly fluttering by...it’s all the simple things, really, that bring me joy.

And one of my favourite things is this little critter:


This is Mr. Inski. Junior. We all know what happened to Mr. Inski Senior...

Junior Inski is not very fearful around me. This might be because he’s used to seeing me outside almost every day. Or it might be because I put out food for him. It’s probably the food.


To try and keep him as safe as possible while he eats, I’ve placed his food and water bowls beside the eavestrough near our kitchen window. Whenever he feels threatened, he runs inside it and hides. I know, I know...I’m such a mother hen sometimes, but I feel the need to protect my little buddy.


It doesn’t take long for Mr. Inski to empty out the food bowl. He stuffs as much as he can into his cheek pouches and scurries back to his burrow to consume or store it, or do whatever it is that Inskis do with excess food. Then he comes back and does it all over again.


Sometimes he stops and stares at me.


And even poses for the camera.


Isn’t he adorable? When he stands up like that, I squeal with delight. And get the urge to scoop him up, squeeze him (gently, naturally) and plant a kiss on top of his head. This would probably freak him out, of course.


(Click here if you’re curious to know how we ended up naming chipmunks Mr. Inski.)

5 comments:

  1. oooh! He's adorable! I love how you mother him:) What a gift he is. I want to squish and kiss him too.Look at those little paws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's soooo sweet and you seem to have thought of just about everything Mr. Inski may need - I pronounce you "The Chipmunk Whisperer"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those adorable little black button eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He really is adorable, isn't he, LaelShine? I just want to squeeeeeeeze him! And yes, oh those tiny little paws...so precious.

    =======

    Ha ha...yes, he's very Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!, NotSoAngryRedHead!

    ========

    Ha ha...that's funny, Jane! I think I need a little more time with him before you pronounce me 'The Chipmunk Whisperer'. He should at least be eating out of my hand, no?

    =========

    Debra, I love those little button eyes as much as I love those teeny little paws!

    ReplyDelete