Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rhododendron ‘Roseum Elegans’

One of the most wonderful things is having a friend who is as passionate about gardening as you are. Well, I’m fortunate enough to have one of those types of friends here in my lovely city. Her name is Joy, and she’s not only a talented gardener, but also a warm and generous person. And that warmth and generosity stretches into my own backyard. In the past couple of years, she has shared quite a few plants with me.

This spring, Joy dug up a plant that she no longer had room for and brought it over to my place where there is still room to squeeze a few more in. The plant donation, as the title states, is the lovely Rhododendron ‘Roseum ‘Elegans’.

This pretty plant produces some of the most gorgeous puple/pink flowers I’ve ever seen.


The plant is still a little small, but it will reach a height and spread of about 5 feet.


It grows best in partial shade, although it is listed as being able to handle full sun. I have planted mine on the eastern side of my garden where it receives morning sun, and it seems quite happy there.


Here is some basic information about this Rhododendron:

Mature Height: 4 to 6 feet
Mature Spread: 5 to 6 feet
Soil Type: Well Draining
Moisture: Moist
Mature Form: Upright
Growth Rate: Medium
Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade
Flower Color: Violet
Zones: 5-8


Whenever I walk around my garden and spot one of Joy’s plants, I can’t help but smile; they are a sweet reminder of her. And Rhododendron ‘Roseum Elegans’ is undoubtedly one of the sweetest.


4 comments:

  1. That's so pretty, Martha! I love rhododendron. One of the things I like so about the mountains where we live is that rhododendrons grow profusely in the wild here.

    You are fortunate to have a generous gardening friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers look like clustered azaleas blooms all stuck in a ball shape! I can't grow azaleas or rhododendrons around here without a lot of work on my part, so I'm glad to see these neat plants on the blogs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beth: Rhododendrons growing in the wild must be quite a sight.

    Yes, I am very fortunate to have such a generous gardening buddy. She's the best.

    ==========

    @Debra: They look even better in person.

    ==========

    @NotSoAngryRedHead: Well, I'm happy to share photos and some basic info of this lovely plant. Maybe someone will want to plant one in their own garden.

    ReplyDelete