Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Loukoumades (Sweet Fritters)

This Greek recipe is a well-loved dessert, fried in hot oil until golden brown and served warm with honey syrup and cinnamon.

I can’t tell you how many times my parents made this recipe, particularly on Saturday mornings. It was something that the whole family loved – and devoured! Mind you, my parents took shortcuts on the recipe. For example, they didn’t use yeast; they simply tossed the remaining ingredients together haphazardly and got right down to cooking. And they didn’t create a syrup like the one in this recipe; they warmed up some honey (an alternative) and served it with the sweet fritters, which we all knew as loukoumades. But don’t take shortcuts like my parents did; follow the recipe in its entirety, syrup included. You’ll be glad you did.


Loukoumades (Ingredients)

2 tablespoons active dry yeast, softened in ½ cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg

Syrup (Ingredients)

1 cup honey
1 cup water
2 cups sugar

You’ll Also Need

About 2 cups of vegetable oil for frying (I always use Canola)
Ground cinnamon for topping


Prepare the batter:

Combine the yeast-water mixture with sugar, milk, flour and egg to make a very thick, sticky batter. Cover with plastic wrap and a damp towel; let rise for 1 hour.

Prepare the syrup:

Combine all ingredients for the syrup in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. (Syrup should be warm when dribbled over the fritters.)

Cook the loukoumades:

In a deep-frying pan, heat 3 inches of oil to 360 degrees.

Drop tablespoonfuls of batter into oil and fry until golden on all sides. Remove fritters from oil and drain on absorbent paper (paper towels).

Sweeten the loukoumades:

Dribble warm syrup over the loukoumades, place them on racks to drain, and sprinkle them with cinnamon.

Serve immediately.

Variation: Instead of syrup, warmed honey can be used as a topping. Place one 16-ounce jar of honey, uncovered in hot water. Simmer until warm. Dribble warmed honey over the loukoumades.


Additional toppings: You can sprinkle with icing sugar and/or crushed walnuts.


Source: The Complete Book of Greek Cooking

6 comments:

  1. I can imagine why you loved them - they look so yummy and the recipe seems very easy.What am I waiting for lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby animals video along your sidebar... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an East Indian dessert that is remarkably similar. I don't know what it's called though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, these are awesome. I haven't made them for a long time. I think I'm due! And yes, I love that video of the baby animals, too. Aren't they just too precious?

    =========

    Debra, I know exactly which one you're talking about. I had some once in an Indian restaurant. I can't remember the name of it either. But it was very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I know something! Y'all (and I) are thinking of gulab jamun, and yes, it's almost identical except for the spices used. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's probably it NotSoAngryRedHead. I just don't know the name of it. But whatever it's called, it's probably just as delicious!

    ReplyDelete