Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tune Time - Coward Of The County

This 1979 song by Kenny Rogers reached number one on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart, number three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and number one on the UK pop chart. It tells the story of a young man, Tommy, who promised his father (who dies in prison) that he would avoid fighting, even if provoked. He honours the promise over the years and ends up gaining the reputation as the "Coward of the County" because he never stands up for himself, just "turns the other cheek".

Listen to the song to find out if Tommy turns the other cheek when his beloved Becky is victimized...


4 comments:

  1. I had forgotten all about this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WebDebris, I'm discovering some songs I'd forgotten about as I put together the weekly music posts. It's fun to hear these old songs. Brings back a lot of memories.

    =======

    LaelShine, his song 'Lady' (I think that's what it was called?) was huge when I was a young thing. I think that was the favourite from him. I kind of prefer this one. And The Gambler, of course.

    ========

    It sure was, Jane. He had a few songs that everyone was crazy about - this was one of them.

    ReplyDelete