Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Another Round Of Garden Flowers

It’s hard to believe it’s already August. I don’t know where the time goes, but I do hope it slows down a little, so winter doesn’t return too quickly. For now, I’m still enjoying the garden, which continues to burst with blooms. Here is another round of flowers:


Agastache ‘Blue Fortune’ keeps getting bigger and bigger, and keeps putting out more and more flowers. It’s one of my favourite plants in the garden, and a favourite of bees and butterflies. I love it.




This is the first time I’ve ever grown any type of Alcea and I must say that I really like these plants. And apparently, so do the rabbits. They ate the majority of the leaves off these plants, but despite that, my Alceas managed to bloom. These flowers belong to Alcea rosea ‘Chaters Double Mix’.





This is Alcea rosea ‘Queeny Purple’.



This pretty bell-shaped flower belongs to Campanula persicifolia ‘Alba’.



Coreopsis grandiflora ‘Sunny Day’ flowers for many weeks during the summer, and if you remove faded flowers regularly, it may develop new buds all the way into the fall.



You can never have too many coneflowers. This is Echinacea ‘Sunrise’.




Gaillardia Dwarf Goblin is one of the longest-blooming perennials in my garden, and perfectly suited to hot sunny areas, of which I have many.




Heliopsis helianthoides ‘Summer Nights’ is also another long-blooming perennial in my garden. It’s extremely attractive to butterflies, and very easy to grow.




‘Star Gazer’ blooms a little later than other Liliums, and produces stunning, fragrant, star-shaped flowers, which are larger than my hand.





Phlox paniculata ‘David’ is putting on a nice show these days with its white blooms.



A garden wouldn’t be complete without some roses in it. Rosa ‘Fragrant Cloud’ has extremely fragrant blooms that make excellent cut flowers.




Rudbeckia maxima is very impressive with its yellow, brown-eyed flowers and its powdery-blue leaves. The butterflies love it, and so do the American Goldfinches that sit on the blooms when they go to seed.





And that’s it for today’s garden tour. I’m waiting on a few more plants to bloom, but most of them have already done so.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your garden is magnificent! Those alceas are really something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debra. The alceas are amazing; much nicer than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny! I just posted a thing about rudbeckia maxima. Great plant, eh?
    Your hollyhocks look awesome and mildew-free. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure is a great plant! As for the hollyhocks, I haven't done anything special for them; I just got lucky. I hope I get lucky with them every year :)

    ReplyDelete