Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Astilbes In Bloom

Sometimes I see a plant in a gardening magazine or on a website, take a huge interest in it and hastily add it to my garden – only to find out weeks later, after it’s grown substantially, that I don’t like it all that much, after all.

And sometimes I see a plant in a gardening magazine or on a website, decide it’s not for me and ignore it and all its cousins at the garden center - only to find out weeks later when I spot it in someone’s garden that I love the way it looks. At that point, I ask myself “what on earth were you thinking when you decided not to add this gorgeous plant and all its cousins to your garden?” Self shrugs and says “oops”, and the next day I’m running around the gardening centers trying to track down the ignored plant and its cousins.

The latter case is what happened with Astilbes. I saw glossy pictures of them in gardening magazines, and I read the praises sung by bloggers growing them in their gardens. But I was unconvinced. Until I saw them in person. And fell in love. Next thing I knew, I was hunting them down in garden centers. I managed to add quite a few since last year, and all of them have bloomed for me.

This week’s gardening post – obviously - is photos of Astilbes in bloom. I know the names of most of them since I marked where they were planted, but there are a couple that got away from me. If you know which ones they are, please leave a comment.


Astilbe arendsii ‘Bridal Veil’




Astilbe arendsii ‘Bressingham Beauty’




Astilbe ‘Diamant’



Astilbe simplicifolia ‘Hennie Graafland’




Astilbe ‘Sister Theresa’




Astilbe (unknown)
Anyone know which one this might be?




Astilbe (unknown)
Anyone?



And that’s it for this week’s gardening post. Aren’t Astilbes just lovely? I’m not sure whether I’ll add any more of these lovely plants to my garden. I already have quite a few of them taking up a good chunk of space. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens as the garden continues to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment