Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August Continues To Bloom

It’s hard to believe that we’re past the halfway mark of August. The summer is going by much too fast; before you know it, it’ll be time to dig out the boots, coats, scarves, gloves and hats. What a scary thought...

Until such time, I’m still enjoying the fruits of my labour in the backyard. Here is another round of flowers in the garden.


I could dedicate an entire flower bed to Rudbeckias; they are spectacular plants. This is the lovely R. Goldsturm.




This is Rudbeckia hirta ‘Cherry Brandy’; one of my favourite plants in the garden.





Coneflowers are also a favourite for me, and I do have a flower bed dedicated to them. This is the popular, and reliable, Echinacea purpurea.



Even the bees love this plant.



Clematis Niobe didn’t put on a huge performance, but it didn’t do too badly for someone who has never grown this type of plant before.




Delphinium grandiflorum ‘Summer Nights’ is a low-growing plant that tolerates hot summer days very well. It isn’t long-lived but it will often self sow where happy. The pretty flowers are as close to blue as you can get.




Hydrangea macrophylla ‘Paris Rapa’ was the first hydrangea added to my garden back in 2009; the year we moved into this home. It didn’t bloom that summer, and it didn’t bloom last summer. But this year, it’s finally doing it, and the flowers are as gorgeous as I’d hoped for.






Last summer, I added a few daylilies to my garden. Most of them were too small and young to bloom that first season, but this year they decided it’s time to put on a show. Although I did keep a record of which flower bed each daylily was planted in, I didn’t mark where exactly in that flower bed each plant is. So, I’ve included a daylily name for almost every flower below (except for one), but they may not all be right. Or they might be. Just thought I’d mention it.

Hemerocallis ‘Blue Sheen’



Hemerocallis ‘Crimson Pirate’



Hemerocallis ‘Little Grapette’



Hemerocallis ‘Stella de Oro’




Hemerocallis (unknown)



All the hostas bloomed this year. This is H. ‘Undulate Univittata’, also known as H. undulata 'Variegated' or 'Mediovariegata’.




Just like the hostas, all the Astilbes bloomed, too. This is the lovely A. ‘Bridal Veil’.




I finally added a butterfly bush to my garden – Buddleia davidii ‘Pink Delight’. It’s just an itsy bitsy thing...and yet...it bloomed. I’m looking forward to it growing huge next summer and attracting a whole bunch of cute little critters. It’ll make for great photographs.



And that’s it for this week. There are still plenty of photos to share on my blog, which I will get to in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I would like some of your Cherry Brandy,please and thank you:)

    I know -the word I will not mention until the Equinox-is coming but right now my fingers are stuck in my ears and I'm singing lalalalalalalalalalalalalala
    Your garden beauty helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...coming right up, LaelShine... We do not speak of the 'W' word until we absolute must. For now, we must enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete