Monday, August 8, 2011

Chores I Cannot Stand

Chores. The recurring, mind-numbing jobs around the house that most of us hate to do. No matter how many times you take care of them, they keep coming back. Again and again. And yet again. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could be like Samantha from Bewitched and get all these tedious jobs done with a simple twitch of our nose? Imagine what you could do with all that power. A small wiggle or twitch of the old schnoz and POOF! chores finished, work complete. POOF! Laundry is done. POOF! Dinner is ready. POOF! House is clean. POOF! Someone annoying you vanishes. POOF! Traffic jam clears up. POOF! Groceries are done. POOF! You drop 10 pounds. POOF! Your nemesis gains 50. POOF! POOF! POOF! You could POOF! away to your heart’s content.

Yeah, I can dig a power like that. Especially around the house. One little POOF!and all my chores are taken care of. Unfortunately, there’s no POOFing going on around here, and I constantly have to get down and dirty with the household tasks. And some I hate more than others, like the ones below...


10 Chores I Cannot Stand. UGH...

1) Ironing

This is my absolutely most hated chore. I avoid it like the plague. I go out of my way to buy clothing that does not need ironing, and will leave something hanging in my closet for weeks, months, years, or simply donate it to charity, if it does. I don’t know what it is about ironing that aggravates me, but whenever I have no choice but to do it, I become hostile. Perhaps it comes from watching my mother for years sweating while doing this job on hot summer days (we never had air-conditioning). I don’t know. Whatever the reasons, I HATE IRONING MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.


2) Vacuuming The Carpets

This doesn’t register as high as ironing on the ‘chores I cannot stand’ radar, but it’s not that far behind. The fact that I can’t stand carpets in the house to begin with certainly doesn’t help. If I hate having them around it makes sense that I hate having to clean them. Thankfully, we’re getting rid of some carpets this year because we’re installing hardwood floors in a couple of rooms. And hopefully, over the next couple of years, we’ll get rid of all the carpets for good.


3) Cleaning Litter Boxes

I know they’re necessary, and I’m grateful that all my pets (ferrets included) use them, but it doesn’t mean I like cleaning litter boxes. I don’t. But at least hubby and I split this chore. He cleans the litter boxes that the cats use, and I clean the ones for the ferrets.


4) Washing Windows

I hardly ever do windows. Not if I can help it. I admire – and even envy – homes with sparkling clean windows, but don’t feel shamed motivated enough to get off my butt and clean my own. Maybe I’m just plain lazy when it comes to this job. Whatever. I just don't like it.


5) Putting Away Groceries

I don’t mind shopping for groceries. In fact, I can wander around the aisles for hours, checking out products, reading nutrition labels, searching for sales...but...I hate putting everything away when I get it home. I especially can’t stand when additional jobs are attached to putting away the groceries. Like having to wash all the fruits and vegetables, or needing to cut the meats into smaller portions before freezing, and so on.


6) Folding Laundry

I know I shouldn’t complain since our modern washing machines do most of the laundry for us. But I complain, nonetheless. I don’t mind the washing. I don’t mind hanging up the clothes (I barely ever use a dryer). I don’t even mind if I need to wash something by hand. But for some incomprehensible reason, I can’t stand to fold everything after it has dried. Weird. But there it is.


7) Scrubbing The Bathtub

Whenever I have to do this job, my back suffers. It’s obvious that I’m not doing it right. Maybe I’m not leaning over properly. I don’t know. But I hate this chore.


8) Mopping The Floors

Another tedious job that gets under my skin. It’s not the worst job on my list of chores, but it’s one that I put off as long as I can. I do prefer it over vacuuming the carpet, though.


9) Emptying The Dishwasher

Up until we moved into this home two years ago, all dishes were done by hand since we didn’t have a machine to do it for us. Now we have a dishwasher that does most of the dish washing. So I should be grateful, right? And I am; I truly am. But I can’t help that I don’t like emptying my beloved dishwasher. I just don’t.


10) Changing Bed Sheets

Such a simple job...and yet...it annoys me to no end. I can’t even offer a sensible explanation as to why this bothers me so. It just does.


That wraps us this week’s Monday post. What are some of the chores you can’t stand?


And finally, just for fun, here is the intro to the show ‘Bewitched’...


5 comments:

  1. I'm with you 100% on most of these, except for I don't iron, at all, and I hate mopping far more than vacuuming. Otherwise boy are we the same - from putting groceries away to changing sheets, for some reason those chores suck far more than anything. I'd rather scrub a toilet with my bare hands than fold dry laundry. I wonder if there's a psychologist that can explain that? Cause we're not alone, I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down I hate lawn mowing. I have a very small yard, probably takes me a whole half hour to mow. That has to be the longest half hour of my life every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the word ironing annoys me! Yuk! In Greece they even iron socks! And this is because its hard water here, too many minerals and it leaves its mark on clothes! I detest ironing! And I only do it when there is nothing left to wear. I don't really mind the other chores, even windows believe it or not because I only do them every so often... but what i really really can't stand is tiding up and putting my closet in order. This is once a month! I do a great job, even color code the clothes, and at the end of every month powwwww its a mess again! You think I would learn! nahhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Debra: I don't think anyone really likes to do chores.

    ----------

    @Tatiana: It's funny, isn't it, about the sheets? And the groceries? And the dry laundry? And it's weird, too? You're probably right; there may very well be a psychological explanation for this. I'd be curious to know what it is!

    ----------

    @WebDebris: That is too funny! I think you'd hate our place. We have a pretty big yard; the size of it would probably kill you. You'd hate it.

    ----------

    @Hellas Frappe: I'd rather eat okra, which I hate, than iron. The very thought of it stresses me.

    ReplyDelete