Monday, August 22, 2011

You’re Probably Around My Age If...

Let’s go back a few decades...


You’re Probably Around My Age If You Remember When...

...milk was delivered to houses in glass bottles.

...a bag of chips and a small soda cost only 25 cents.

...kids knew how to ‘walk the dog’, go ‘around the world’ and ‘loop the loop'.

...typewriters were all the rage.

...you had a black and white TV.

...kids went home for lunch.

...collecting cards (hockey or baseball) was a favourite pastime.

...there were no home computers.

...high schools had designated smoking areas.

...the telephone, instead of text messaging, was used for communication.

...a tiny white dot lingered on the screen after you shut off the television set.

...being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you at home. Parents actually sided with the teachers/principals.

...a bus ride cost only a dime.

...guys wore highly-flammable polyester leisure suits.

Lots of leisure suits!
...smoking was popular. Everyone did it, even doctors. While you were seated in front of them.

...seatbelts weren’t mandatory.

...you sat on someone’s lap in the car.

...BB guns were common.

...homes had one telephone.

...service stations had service.

...teachers threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed -- and did!

...it only cost ten cents to make a call from a phone booth.

...Jordache jeans were cool. Very cool.

...you had to get off the couch to change the TV channel.

...baseball cards were placed in the spokes to transform a bike into a motorcycle.

...the first man walked on the moon.


And You’re Probably Around My Age If You Remember...

...smurfs.

...Dorothy Hamill haircut.

...Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Columbo and The Carol Burnett Show.

...macramé hanging baskets

...the expression: ‘gag me with a spoon’.

...candy cigarettes.

...The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Carrie, Dirty Harry, Rocky, Grease and Halloween.

...Pac-Man.

...party lines.

...The Dating Game, Hollywood Squares, The Gong Show, Match Game and The Newlywed Game.

...station wagons.

...Atari.

...tie-dye shirts.

...Jaws, Kramer vs. Kramer, Love Story, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

...pinball machines.

...Rock’em Sock’em Robots.

... Lassie, Romper Room, Sesame Street, The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup.

Mr. Dressup (Ernie Coombs) with Casey and Finnegan
...Barrel of Monkeys.

...Spirograph.

...Saturday Night Fever, E.T., Star Wars, Superman, The Exorcist, The Godfather and The Poseidon Adventure.

...roller skates.

...hula hoops.

...CB radios.

...Casey Kasem’s American top 40.

...platform shoes.

...wringer washers.

...The Partridge Family, M*A*S*H, Three's Company, Welcome Back Kotter, Mork & Mindy and WKRP In Cincinnati.

...vinyl records.

...jukeboxes.

...pea shooters.

...record players.

Record player
...5 cent packs of baseball cards with that slab of pink bubblegum.

...Breck Shampoo.

...drive in movies.

...The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour, Woody Woodpecker, The Flintstones, Popeye and The Pink Panther.

...clogs.

... Mikey, the kid on the Life cereal commercials.

...‘Mother May I’.

...the words to the theme song of "The Greatest American Hero." ("BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I'M WALKIN' ON AIR... I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD FEEL SO FREE-EE-EE...")

...‘Miss Mary Mack’.

... The Dukes of Hazzard, Donny & Marie, Fantasy Island and The Incredible Hulk.

...mood rings.

...moon boots.

...hard to push lawn mowers.

...tag and hide and go seek on warm summer evenings.

...ABC After School Specials, The Love Boat, Ironside, The Six Million Dollar Man and Kojak.

...riding bicycles without helmets.

...bazooka bubble gum.

...8-track tapes.

...The Streets Of San Francisco, Kung Fu, Wonder Woman and The Bionic Woman.

...leg warmers.

...rotary phones.

Rotary phone
...Garfield and Friends, Tom and Jerry, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Spider-Man, Scooby-Doo & Batman.

...bell bottoms.

...pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

...The Brady Bunch, Good Times, The Jeffersons, Happy Days, The Odd Couple and Laverne & Shirley.

...tank tops.

...Mr. Bill.

...bicycles with banana seats.

...All in the Family, One Day at a Time, Benson, Sanford & Son, Gilligan’s Island and Soap.

...the electronic game, Simon.

...metal lunch boxes.

...pet rocks.

...the magazine, Tiger Beat.

...striped tube socks.

...Chico and the Man, Diff'rent Strokes, Taxi, Eight Is Enough and Facts of Life.

...crimped hair.

...tube tops.

...Night Gallery, Quincy M.E., Emergency!, Sonny & Cher and The Twilight Zone.

...Judy Blume's book: "Are you there God, It's me, Margaret?"



And You Absolutely Must Be Around My Age If...

...you're starting to uses phrases like “Back in my day...”


Now, here’s a clip from one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid.



Please feel free to add your own nostalgic memories.

9 comments:

  1. I remember most of those things, but have a feeling I'm older than you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored the Friendly Giant when I was a kid. Today I play the recorder. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of the people dancing is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember some of those things, definitely not others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure I'm quite a bit younger than you, but I still remember some of those - especially the car-related, phone-related and smoking-related ones. I think my grammar school had to get rid of the smoking area during my time there. Not that that stopped anyone from smoking.
    And the cars... sitting on a lap? Hah - we used to sleep on top of the luggage in the back of our minibus, while on the highway! Even though I know now how dangerous that was, I still wish I could still do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe just a little, Crafty Gardener ;)

    -------

    I've no doubt he influenced you, Debra. He was the best. I never missed his show when I was a kid.

    -----

    Don't you just love it, Liza? It's too funny. All those corny-looking leisure suits!

    -----

    You're younger than me, Tatiana, so I'm sure some of the weird things from my youth had passed by the time you reached the age that I was surrounded by them.

    -----

    Ivynettle, how my age group managed to survive childhood is a miracle in itself. There were much fewer safety measures, and yet, we turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we lived out in the country in the 70s, everytime you made a long distance phone call, an operator would ask you for your phone number to charge you. It was completely on the honor system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and forgot something - I do totally say "Back in my day..." and "Kids these days..." - but I was already saying that when I was 18 (we used to joke I was really 81, not 18 - still got a few years before I can make that joke again with 82).

    Also, I think people are a little too obsessed with "safety" nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, WebDebris, on the honor system? Imagine that. I would imagine that if it was a small area, people would be honest since they knew each other.

    =========

    Ivynettle, I couldn't agree with you more. I also think that people are WAY too obsessed with safety nowadays.

    ReplyDelete