Wednesday, August 24, 2011

More Blooms Around The Garden

I was planning to do a different type of garden post today; perhaps one that would show before and after shots of certain flower beds, and how they’ve evolved since we moved into this house two years ago. But it’s been really busy, and I just haven’t had time to put it all together. I will create posts like that eventually; perhaps when the school season starts, or when the weather starts to get cold and there’s no more outdoor gardening; that would be a good time for that.

Today, though, it looks like you’re stuck looking at more boring photos of flowers. Not that you’re really stuck. I mean you can just click away. Right? Right. But if you do stick around, I promise that the photos below will at least be colourful.

Let’s get right to it...


I know, I know. I’ve shown photos of Agastache ‘Blue Fortune’ in previous posts – again and again. And you’re probably tired of hearing about this plant. But it’s just so beautiful. So easy to grow. Always full of bees and butterflies. How can I not keep mentioning it? I can’t help myself. Here are a couple more photos of this awesome perennial.




Platycodon grandiflorus ‘Sentimental Blue’ is blooming again, which is not surprising since it’s supposed to bloom on and off throughout the season.



I’ve shown photos of this cousin to the Hollyhock in a previous post, but it’s worth a second display. Malva sylvestris ‘Zebrina’ blooms all summer long, and the lavender-purple flowers are lovely. The plant is a short-lived perennial or biennial, often flowering itself to death in the first year, but it comes back the next year from self-sown seedlings.




My ‘Blue Girl’ rose bush didn’t do as well this year as it did when I planted it last spring. I don’t know if the weather had anything to do with it, or if the leaves being eaten by visiting rabbits did. Probably the latter. In any case, it did manage to put out some pretty flowers.




One of the joys of autumn arriving is all the late blooming perennials that start to put on a show – like the gorgeous Anemone hybrida ‘Honorine Jobert’.




Eupatorium ‘Phantom’, or Dwarf Joe-Pye Weed, is a magnet to butterflies. It blooms in late summer and early fall.




Heuchera sanguinea 'Ruby Bells' bloomed a long time ago; I just didn’t get around to posting a photo of it until now.




Apparently, Asclepias tuberosa, which blooms in mid and late summer, is the primary source of food for both the adult and juvenile Monarch butterfly. I have noticed Monarch butterflies hanging around there, so I guess it’s true.




Hibiscus moscheutos 'Luna Red' takes its time getting started, but once it does, expect huge, solid-red, saucer-shaped flowers from mid summer until frost. A very impressive plant in the garden.




Helenium 'Rotgold' (Red & Gold) blooms from mid summer to early fall, and produces flowers in many autumn shades - from yellow to gold, orange, red and bronze.




Ligularia stenocephala ‘The Rocket’ is a bold perennial with large, jagged-edged green leaves and bright yellow flowers that bloom in summer. It can grow quite tall, so the back of a border is a good place for it to be.



Lysimachia punctata ‘Alexander’ spreads moderately to form a small patch. The variegated leaves remain attractive all season long, so the starry yellow flowers that contrast beautifully with the foliage are an added bonus.



I picked up Ceratostigma plumbaginoides impulsively because I had a spot to fill in front of a border, so I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into. But I am quite pleased with it so far; the foliage is compact and tidy, and the flowers are an attractive blue. From what I’ve been able to gather, as the summer turns to fall, the whole plant will begin to turn shades of bright scarlet and finally maroon red. Can’t wait.




Heliopsis helianthoides ‘Loraine Sunshine’ is one of my favourite perennials in the garden with its handsome variegated foliage and golden-yellow daisies that begin to appear in mid summer, lasting for many weeks.




And that’s it for today. I’ll be back again next week with another gardening post. Enjoy your day, everyone.

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing boring about your lovely flower shots, Martha---I always enjoy them. Of course, seeing them usually makes me want to go out and buy more flowers, but I certainly cannot blame you for my lack of self-control.:-)

    I didn't know there was a dwarf form of Joe-Pye weed. The tall form grows wild around here this time of year---I always look forward to seeing it, especially if it's growing with purple ironweed (which it often is). Your red hibiscus is astonishingly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I want that Hibiscus. Don't be too surprised if you find my gardne looks a lot like yours next year,lol. I may just come here, copy down the names of your plants and get planting,heehee

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very sweet, Beth. I'm glad you enjoy the photos. Yes, there is a dwarf Joe-Pye weed, which works well in the space under my kitchen window. I wanted it there because it attracts so many cute critters, particularly monarchs! It's such a joy to catch sight of a monarch on this plant while we're having supper.

    ---------

    LaelShine, copy them all if you'd like. I always hope that by posting photos of the plants, other people will see what they look like and consider some of them for their own gardens. Next year, I'll consider taking shots of the flowers and shots of the whole plant, so visitors to my blog can see what the entire plant looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice agastache! You should also check out the "Black Adder" cultivar. I planted some in a client's garden last summer and they're awesome.

    Love that helenium, too - another great, and in my opinion, under-used plant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely check out the 'Black Adder', Cynthia. Agastache has become a favourite. And I love heleniums; definitely under-used. Except in my garden...I've already planted three different types!

    ReplyDelete