Monday, December 19, 2011

Oh, How The Years Go By

While it’s hard to believe that we’re just a few days away from another Christmas, I’m not terribly surprised. I find as I get older, time goes faster, sometimes too fast. I suppose there are many reasons for this mystery of life but I think that we – the adults - get so caught up in life’s responsibilities and complexities that we sometimes forget to stop and smell the roses. One day just blends into the next as we hustle ourselves (and our families) through the week. Before you know it, another week, another month, and another year has gone by, and we’ve missed – once again – the coming and going of the roses.

We took photos with Santa Claus every  year
We miss the small miracles of life but young kids don’t. Children are different. They’re so incredibly focused on the ‘here and now’, so absorbed by what they’re doing, so curious about their surroundings that waiting for a special event – Christmas, birthday, field trip – or just to be given an opportunity to run out and play seems like an impossibly, agonizingly long time. Time practically stands still for them; they make it stand still with their enthusiasm and ability to live in the moment. So they don’t miss the roses at all. They’d stop and smell all of them - if we’d let them. But we usually don’t. We’re always in too much of a hurry, pushing and dragging them along with us.

My older daughter reading a letter from Santa to her little sister Christmas morning
As I get older, I catch myself reminiscing more and more about the past, particularly the years when my children were very little. And although I enjoy the added freedom that comes with their getting older and more independent, I would be lying if I said that I don’t also miss when they were small enough for me to pick up and rock in my arms. Innocent enough to believe in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. Young enough to believe that I knew everything. And naïve enough to trust that the entire world was a safe and happy place.

Oh, how the years go by...

Time goes by much too quickly. And as each year comes to an end, I remind myself once more not to waste time on inconsequential things and on toxic people. To cherish every moment with the people I love and the people that love me; they may not always be here. To live every day to its fullest; I don’t know when it will be my last. And to stop, every now and then, to smell the roses. In the garden of life.



7 comments:

  1. I'm a "senior citizen" and, believe me, you are so right! BTW, I love your blog! It's just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about why life seems to fly by Martha. I also miss the years when my children were little - my sister's are 2 & 4 and I envy her at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time flies indeed. And the older I get, the faster it goes. And I try to smell the roses every day. I find that daily work routine probably does more to suck enthusiasm and spontaneity from our lives than anything. Hard to live in the moment during the Monday commute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Debra: :)

    -----

    Thanks, Nancy! Happy to see you here. Hope you visit often.

    -----

    @Jane: 2 & 4...so cute. Maybe one day I'll have grandkids that I can enjoy. I sure hope so.

    -----

    @Tatiana: So true. Our daily routines gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we were kids after school was the beginning of an adventure. As an adult after work is just the start of everything we have to get done before we go to bed. Easy for days to blur together when nothing special comes out of the day. I have such vivid memories of many of the great times I had as a kid, but would be hard pressed to come up with one amazing thing I did last year. That really needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right, WebDebris. Life is so busy that it doesn't leave much time to kick back and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete