Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Oscar The Grouch Hates Christmas

I was crazy about Sesame Street when I was growing up, and my favourite character was (and continues to be) Oscar the grouch. Here is a clip of him singing how he hates Christmas.



I was touched to see Mr. Hooper (Will Lee) in this video. Do you remember him? When he died of a heart attack on December 7, 1982, the producers of Sesame Street wondered how to acknowledge his death on the series since he was one of the most visible actors for many years.

After taking into consideration a number of options, they decided to have the character of Mr. Hooper die, and use the episode to teach young viewers that death was a natural part of life, and that it’s okay for everyone – kids and adults alike - to grieve when they lose someone they love. The issue was dealt with directly. In other words, euphemisms such as “passed away” were not used.

The episode (#1839) was known to sesame street fans, young and old, as “Farewell, Mr. Hooper”, and it aired on November 24, 1983 (Thanksgiving Day). It was selected by the Daytime Emmys as being one of the 10 most influential moments in daytime television.

3 comments:

  1. Loved Sesame Street. I remember Big Bird always called Mr. Hooper "Mr. Looper"

    Lol, I must have a little bit of Oscar the Grouch in me, because I also cheer when Christmas is all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I remember Mr. Hooper! That was a groundbreaking episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jane: I'd forgotten about that! That was cute.

    -----

    @Debra: It sure was. I'm all for telling children the truth, in an age-appropriate manner, of course.

    ReplyDelete