Saturday, January 14, 2012

Commenting/Blog Issues

As my regular visitors have noticed, a window now pops up whenever you want to leave a comment on one of my posts. The reason I made this change is that I can’t open up pages with embedded comment forms (almost always). This includes my own blog. Whenever I attempt to open up such a page, the page goes blank. I thought it was my own computer at first (security options, privacy, etc), but since I haven’t changed a thing, it just didn’t make sense. So I checked on the internet and there are many other people having the same issue. Apparently, Blogger installed a new commenting system which allows replies to other comments. That’s the good news. The bad news is that it has some bugs. They are aware of them, and hopefully are working on ironing them out.

In the meantime, if your blog has embedded commenting the majority of the time I cannot open that page, or leave a comment. I can read your post from the main page but can’t open it up separately. So, I just wanted to let all my favourite bloggers know (the ones with embedded commenting) that I am visiting your blogs and enjoying your posts, but unable to leave a message.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Kitty says it best because kitty sees and knows all...


12 comments:

  1. That friggin' Blogger. Thanks for identifying the problem though. I think my blog is okay, isn't it? I must go and doublecheck it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye open for anything unusual. I haven't switched over yet but will when things are ironed out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Debra: Your blog is fine. I can open up pages where new pages open up for commenting and pages where a popup window opens for commenting. That's why you'll see messages from me.

    ----

    @Jim: No problem. As long as commenting is not embedded, I don't have an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embedded commenting means that there is a comment box right below the post (same page). It's what I used to have. Now I have a popup window style of commenting. You have the type of commenting that opens a new page. The latter two work fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you having issues on my blog? I'm not with yours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay. Good. (Thanks.)

    Does it ever seem to you like Google / Firefox / Adobe / Facebook / etc. stopped trying to make actual improvements in their products some time ago, and are now changing things at random every few months just to be changing things? 'Cause boy, it sure seems that way to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha, I notice that you don't seem to have the new commenting format on your blog... what's up with that? I did your list from the other day (a much shortened version though!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jane: I can't comment on your posts. Whenever I try to, the page goes blank. You have embedded coding and I can't leave a message. I am SO frustrated. Up until a little while ago everything was fine. Why can't they just leave things alone?!

    ----

    @mr_subjunctive: Yes, it does. Improvements are okay; changes sometimes cause issues for people. And before you make changes public, you should test them VERY well, so people don't have issues. Sometimes it's best to leave things alone. Don't fix what ain't broken...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jane: You are right; I don't. I changed my commenting to popup until I can resolve the issue I'm having. I read your post and really enjoyed it! But I can't comment. Whenever I try to, the page goes blank. I'm trying to find out what the issue is and if there's anything I can do on my end. Mind you, if blogger has made changes which cause me problems, THEY should fix it so it works with everyone. I shouldn't have to adjust anything on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again! I went into settings/comments and changed it from embedded to pop-up window - please let me know if this does the trick! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jane: I'm so glad to be able to post comments on your blog again. I hope this issue is resolved soon because I really like the new format. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete