Friday, March 23, 2012

And The Award For First Flower To Bloom Goes To...

Crocus!


Of course it would be crocus. These little bulbs are always eager to get going way before anyone else.


This is actually Crocus Jeanne D'Arc, in case anyone is interested in knowing specifically what type it is.


I don’t have any other crocus growing in my garden, but I’m hoping to plant some more this year. I’d love some purple and yellow crocus, and maybe even a few bi-colour.


These cute little bulbs typically sprout in March and grow to about 5” high.


This garden gnome claims to be responsible for the first blooms of the season, but every time I look outside my window, he’s always sleeping. So I don’t know about that...he seems to be a little lazy. Definitely not the best worker out there.


It looks like you don't have a care in the world, buddy.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that sleeping gnome! Crocus was the first to come up in the spring in England and it was such a welcome sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I love gnomes; I have quite a few of them scattered around my garden. Crocus is always a welcome sight in the spring. The flowers are so pretty.

      Delete
  2. How precious! I expect Mr. Gnome does all his gardening at night - that's why you see him sleeping all day - he's pooped!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Jane! I never thought of looking at it like that. Poor Mr. Gnome...I misjudged him.

      Delete
  3. My early favorites, too, Martha. I need to plant hundreds of these throughout the garden for maximum effect. I also love seeing them pop up through the grass. Mine are almost done now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are pretty. I don't have that many yet, but I hope to keep planting more and more each year.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, Martha! I love the crocus pictures and the garden gnome is great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Francie! My camera and I are best buddies during the gardening season.

      Delete
  5. I read once that the aboriginal name for crocus is "the ears of the earth" because it comes up first and "listens" for spring to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like that, Debra! I have to pack away that cool bit of information. Thanks for mentioning it.

      Delete