Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Chickadee Drops By

Everyone is welcome in my backyard, and because I offer an assortment of treats, almost everyone does, in fact, drop by. Hey, no one can resist a free meal.

Anyway, a few days ago, this little cutie popped by for a quick snack:


This pretty little bird is known as the black-capped chickadee; an energetic and curious little thing that quickly discovers bird feeders and hangs around the garden regularly. Although it will visit feeders for sunflower and other types of seed, a chickadee eats mostly pesky insects, which makes it a welcome visitor to your garden.


Chickadees, being curious as they are, will investigate everything in their surroundings, including humans, so once they get used to you, don’t be surprised if they land nearby to examine you.


These sweet things are quite acrobatic, and they can be quite entertaining to watch. They zoom around with a bouncy flight, and zip from feeder to feeder and tree to tree, all the while exclaiming ‘chickadee-dee-dee’, their familiar and distinctive sound.


I never get tired of my backyard visitors, especially when they’re as adorable as the ‘chicka-dee-dee’.

12 comments:

  1. A darling little bird - I love them!! Great shots Martha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! It's hard to grab photos of this little cutie. It zips around so quickly, my camera barely stands a chance!

      Delete
  2. Chickadees are so cute! I kinda feel bad that they get bullied a bit at my feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty little things! Those are indeed great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE my little chickadees! Great shots all, but I really love that one with the sunflower in the beak. Fantastic photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My camera surprised me with that one. Sometimes you snap at just the right moment!

      Delete
  5. Did you know that we also have Carolina Chickadees here? They look like the black-capped chickadee but have a more yellow belly. They sing "dee dee, dee dee" like a phoebe. I've had both types of chickadees at the feeder this year. When Robbie was younger, we lived in the country and while waiting for the school bus in the mornings, we would imitate the "chickadee dee dee and have a conversation with the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know that! If they look very much the same, chances are I'm confusing the two. I'll have to take a closer look next time. It must have been fun living in the country. I would imagine it was a lot more quiet than living in a city, and you'd be able to hear an assortment of birds songs!

      Delete
  6. Love these little guys! Very tame, they are. Wish we could feed birds here but the seed attracts 'other' critters that we don't want around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love these little birds. They are favourites!

      Delete