Thursday, April 12, 2012

Another Round Of Blue Jay Images

The Blue Jays drop by several times a day for peanuts, one of their favourite treats.




I happily oblige most of the peanut visits because it gives me an opportunity to snap photos of them. They are very beautiful and very photogenic birds.




Often, the Blue Jays that visit will watch me from the tree nearby, patiently waiting for me to toss down a peanut. Or one of them will keep a lookout while the other one flies down for food, making sure there are no predators around, and no imminent danger.



In addition to peanuts, they also enjoy corn, which I often offer my backyard visitors.



And which bird can resist sunflower seeds? Definitely not the Blue Jays!


8 comments:

  1. Well I will say this, they are GREAT photos of those birds. I'm not sure I've ever seen one in such good detail. And part of that is because they're so freakin' mean! Blue jays will peck at you if you're upsetting them; and blue jay pecks hurt, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can be quite aggressive if they feel threatened. They defend their families with a vengeance. But I bribe them with peanuts and they love me :)

      Delete
  2. Those are great pictures, Martha! Blue jays might be loud and pushy, but they sure are beautiful.

    By the way, could you tell me what camera you use? Your pictures are so clear and detailed---really nice. I so often have trouble getting good shots of birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly are beautiful. The photos are taken by my first SLR (a Canon) that my hubby recently gifted me. He said that with such a huge passion for photography, I warrant a decent camera...LOL... I don't want to write too much about it online, but if you're interested to know more details about the camera, drop me an email!

      Delete
  3. I've seen the blue jays come to our yard in pairs and one will push the seeds from the small feeder down to the ground for his/her mate to enjoy too. Beautiful birds and your pics are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do that; it's so cute. There are two that arrive together every day (I'm assuming they're a couple), and the one that is braver comes close to me, grabs a peanut and moves it further away for his mate. Then he returns and takes another peanut for himself. It is the sweetest thing!

      Delete
  4. Dear Martha,
    We don't see many blue jays where we live and I know some people don't like them, but we love them! Look at those colors! Those are some fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are so beautiful. I plan to take some hiking trips with my husband this year, and I hope to capture some beautiful photos of birds. If I'm lucky enough to do so, you know I'll share them with all of you!

      Delete