Friday, April 20, 2012

Backyard Critters

It takes a remarkable amount of patience to take photographs of backyard visitors. Sometimes I plant myself on a chair and wait impatiently patiently for a bird, squirrel...or any little animal...to drop by.

Mr. Robin is the least of my photo problems. He’s always around and always posing for the camera. I have enough pictures of him to take up a good chunk of my computer’s hard drive.




The grackles are also regular visitors. There aren’t as many of them stopping by as there were a couple of weeks ago. I imagine they’ve moved into their breeding grounds and the ones stopping in are either coming by for a quick snack, or just haven’t quite settled down yet.





The red-winged blackbirds make an appearance now and then, but there are far less of them coming by than last year. I wonder what’s up with that. Is it possible they’re not all here yet?




The chickadees are always a joy to have around, but they’re also difficult to photograph. They bounce around all over the place and make me – and my camera – dizzy!



For some reason, I don’t get many sparrows visiting. I’m not sure what the reason for this is, but surely there must be one. Anyone?

Mourning doves are there every day, but they are still very nervous around me. It’s been quite a challenge trying to capture a decent image of one.


The goldfinches have been making an appearance, and I hope they continue to do so as they become a brighter yellow. This little one in the photos below is just beginning to put on its lemon-yellow summer threads.




I’m looking forward to the arrival of hummingbirds and orioles, which should be happening soon enough, to add a little spice to my critter images.

But, in the meantime, there’s always Mr. Robin...eager to have his picture taken...



Oh, Mr. Robin, you’re so vain!

16 comments:

  1. The red-winged blackbirds are in my yard. The last 2 days I've seen a killdeer flying in the area. I'm not sure if it is being disrupted by construction taking place in the area. Thank you for sharing your pics of your backyard visitors. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send some of the blackbirds over, Cathy, so I can photograph them. Tell them I have food to offer :) I've never seen a killdeer. That is quite a treat. You may be right about the construction disruption. It must be annoying - and scary - for them.

      Delete
  2. But rightfully so:) That Robin is gorgeous! I love how ruffley his head looks.

    Have you ever gotten a Chickadee to sit in your hand?
    I want to experience that so badly. They are such cute little porkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, but I soooo want a chickadee to sit in my hand. I will try this summer to work on this. I know it takes a lot of time and patience but well worth it.

      Delete
  3. You have no sparrows because they are all in our back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You captured some great photos. I have chairs and benches placed near feeders and bird bath so that I can wait patiently, like you, for the best photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only way to get some decent photos of these little animals. I don't mind doing it when I know I'll get to snap some nice pictures in the end.

      Delete
  5. You are very patient! Birds seem to be especially hard to photograph, that's why you don't see any on my blog! We don't have any red winged blackbirds either. I love to hear their call. Love your birdies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is the key to these types of photos. I don't have a choice if I want some pictures of these cuties. I usually choose a time that I know they come in to eat, and I relax while watching them. I consider it my outdoor break.

      Delete
  6. Dear Martha,
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these bird photos! Richard is better at bird photos than I am. I once told someone that a goldfinch is not yellow in the winter, it is more a pale brown... and they didn't believe me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! I am having a wonderful time taking pictures. And you are very right! The American goldfinch is a pale brown/yellow in the winter.

      Delete
  7. I love your photos. They're gorgeous. I'm green with envy. Really. You should see me. totally green. LOL

    The robins are so sweet to watch. I love their little bounce and skip across the grass and the sudden stops, waiting, looking down as the listen and watch for worms and bugs. The sounds of them in the evenings are so comforting.

    I have more sparrows than I can count around here, and since we live close to marshland, we have a lot of red winged blackbirds too. I don't know why you haven't got as many as last year. We had that happen here a couple of years ago with the goldfinches. There were almost none to be found. At least now I have three couples coming around regularly that I have yet to take a good picture of.

    Doves are very skittish and tend to take flight in a hurry. Sometimes if I'm sitting out in the yard a couple will land nearby, but if I make a move with the camera... off they go. We don't get many doves here, either. I miss having a wide variety of birds, but we just don't get them in this subdivision. Oh... I miss the country.

    Keep snapping photos. They're gorgeous!

    Blessings and happy days to you,
    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha ha...now I have an image of you all green! I really enjoying having these little critters stop by. They are so entertaining. They really liven up my garden. When it's too quiet out there, I find it rather depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha, these photos are wonderful! So clear and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. I'm having a wonderful love affair with the camera :)

      Delete