Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bribing The Chipmunk With Peanuts

There’s no limit to how much food I’ll toss the more interesting critters visiting my backyard in order to snap some photos of them.

Take this little chipmunk for example, sitting there minding its own business...

“I’m bored... Nothing on TV. Nothing to eat...”

I called out to him to get his attention. He heard me but wasn’t sure where I was at first.

 “Huh? Is someone calling me?”

So, I called out to him again with the word ‘peanuts’. This time he heard me.

 “Peanuts? Did you say peanuts?”

I tossed him a couple of peanuts and he raced over to find them.

“Where are the peanuts? Where? Where?”

"Calm down, buddy", I told him. "Slow down and you’ll find them." Eventually, he did.

"Nom...nom...nom"

There are a couple of chipmunks that visit and one of them is so fearless around humans that it’ll take nuts right out of your hand. This is the tame one.

"Oh, how I love peanuts!"

Next time, I will have him take the peanuts from my hand, so I can snap some cute photos of him.

"Toss me peanuts and I'll pose for you anytime!"

12 comments:

  1. Oh he is so cute! Yes, try and get a photo of him eating out of your hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a treat! I will definitely try to take photos of him eating out of my hand.

      Delete
  2. Haha...great photos and captions, Martha! Lucky little cheeky chipmunk! If I were an animal, I'd sure love to live in your yard. Of course, I'm not as cute as that little chipmunk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is a cheeky chipmunk. If he was a person, he'd be a teenager with attitude! Although, very adorable...

      Delete
  3. I have three wonderful chipmunk friends, Midge, Jasper and Nina. I just love them and they are unbelievably fearless. They even ram charge the big squirrels, Jack Jack and Little Foot, and birds as well, to get them out of the way to get the food. Sometimes when I'm outside working in the garden, one of them will walk over and stand on my foot and look up at me. I've had them scurry across my legs while I was sitting down weeding because they have no fear of me whatsoever. Sharp little toenails, though. A bit scratchy. LOL Love the photos and the chippy is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cute, Bird! I like that you name the little critters. I do the same. Yours sound like a lot of fun, and much tamer than mine. Perhaps mine will warm up to me further as I spend more and more time in the garden.

      Delete
  4. "yesyesyes, I'm the complete embodiment of cuteness"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chipmunk and you've captured the essense of chipmunkness with your photos and comments! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very cute and playful. And very photogenic!

      Delete
  6. How cute is this! There are no Chipmunks around here, for some reason. Maybe they don't like the ocean?
    Great photos Martha....with your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so strange, Jim. There must be a reason for that. I am so in love with my new camera. And having fun with it. I look forward to learning more and more about it. I don't know how to use half the options yet!

      Delete