Sunday, April 22, 2012

Garden Happenings

The weather has been slowly warming up, which I am very pleased about. The higher the daily temperatures go, the faster my garden plants will grow. There is a lot of growth going on and I expect that my plants will shower me with flowers in no time.


My Prunus x cistena (Purpleleaf Sand Cherry) is showing signs of life. This isn’t a very long-lived plant, so each spring I’m pleased to see that it’s still around.





The bulbs in the front continue to grow. The crocus is done but the daffodils and hyacinth are hanging around. I’m expecting the tulips to make an appearance very soon.






Speaking of tulips, the ones in the back have made an appearance. This variety is Purple Flag.





Lilium ‘Star Gazer’ is growing rapidly. Last year I removed most of the lilies from the garden because of the damage the red lily beetles do to them, but I didn’t have the heart to remove all of them. This is one lily that I spared. It will produce some of the most beautiful blooms fairly soon.



This columbine (Aquilegia 'McKana Hybrids') is growing into a monster. When you look closely at it, you notice that there are blooms developing. I expect the flowers will follow soon.



Euphorbia polychrome continues to grow steadily. It won’t be long now until it shows off its neon-yellow blooms.



Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander' is a very ornamental perennial. Its variegated leaves remain attractive all season long and it also produces pretty yellow flowers that contrast beautifully with the foliage.



My neighbours’ Magnolia tree is in full bloom, and because it hangs partly over my yard, I get to enjoy it just as much as they do.



That’s it for this round. There’ll be lots more to follow now that the garden is awake.

6 comments:

  1. I love daffodils, they're my favourite flower. There's something so cheery about them and I love how they smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. I think of them as little bits of sunshine. They really brighten up the garden.

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful signs of rebirth and regeneration -- your garden must be breathtaking in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very colourful when its in full bloom. I will share photos when it's at its best.

      Delete
  3. Martha, your garden is very much awake! Look at those daffs! Our Sand Cherry has lived for almost 20 years...there was a period that it looked very sorry for itself but it recovered from whatever infestation it had....some bug loved it!
    You posts get me all excited about the potential in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 20 years? That's fantastic. Perhaps mine will be around for some time to come. It's doing very well again this year and I'm very glad. My posts are getting even ME excited about the garden :) But the weather has turned on us. It's dark and gloomy outside; it's raining and cold. Just when I thought I'd be out there every day!

      Delete