Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lovely Hyacinth

I haven’t planted many hyacinth bulbs in my garden, but the few that I have make a huge statement when they begin to show themselves in the spring.

My hyacinth began to show signs of waking up last week, and within a few days, they went from this...



...to this.



Because of our mild winter, they poked their little heads out early this year. Last spring they didn’t put on a show until sometime in early May.



Can there be anything more intoxicating than the scent of hyacinth blooms? Whenever I walk by these precious flowers, which are planted along the side of our home’s front walkway, I get a whiff of their heavenly scent...and smile.


Hyacinth flowers are a reminder of why I love gardening so much.


8 comments:

  1. :) It's very springy where you are! Hyacinth's are beautiful. So far it looks like you are headed into another very successful gardening year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a few cool days, but I think it may be starting to finally feel like spring. The bulbs seem to be doing okay, and I hope the perennials will do fine. We had a very dry, mild winter and I'm concerned about the younger and less hardy ones. They could have used a nice blanket of snow. I'll know within the next few weeks how all the plants made out.

      Delete
  2. I love how they just burst out into such prettiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? They start off looking like nothing special and then BAM, they produce beautiful flowers. It's like the ugly duckling story.

      Delete
  3. Your photographs are so lovely! Proves you love your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francie. I do love my garden. And so does my camera. By the time September rolls around, my camera and I will have snapped hundreds of photos!

      Delete
  4. I was sad this year, my hyacinths came up early and the heat that we had moved them along much too quickly. :( Their heady scent is intoxicating, the house is often full of their amazing perfume! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad when it happens to bulbs that we wait for each spring. The heat is not a good thing for them. I hope you enjoyed them while they lasted, and there's always next year!

      Delete