Monday, April 16, 2012

Another Day, Another Bunch Of Photos

As many of you have realized, especially those of you that have been following this blog for awhile, I love photography. This has been a huge passion of mine since my brother gifted me my first camera in my early teens. I started snapping photos as soon as I unpacked it and haven’t stopped since.

"Um..."
I had considered studying photography in college but for a few reasons, which I won’t bother with today, I didn’t. So I settled for just being an everyday photographer, which was fine, and over the decades, I have joyfully snapped thousands of images as an amateur.

“How do I get to the food?”
When I first met my husband 10 years ago (second marriage for both of us), it didn’t take long for him to notice how much I enjoyed taking pictures. At the time I didn’t have a digital camera, just a 35mm, nor had I considered buying one. I was a single mother of two young kids and such a luxury (they were very expensive back then) was unthinkable. But he had one, and one day he handed me his digital camera and said “Keep it at your place and use it freely.” And I did.

“You gotta love a man who will give you his digital camera...”

“...help you in the garden...”

“...and look this good...in his 50s.”
For a little over eight years, I joyfully snapped away photo after photo after photo after photo. And it was good.



I was quite satisfied with the camera, but as time went by, I began to crave something a little more up to date, and something that would allow me to snap macro shots, which is something every gardener enjoys. I wasn’t in a position to spend a lot of money, so I began to research information on pocket-sized, point-and-shoot cameras. In September 2010, I finally settled on a Nikon Coolpix that was reasonably-priced and produces very nice images. And this, too, was good.



A couple of months ago, I began to think about taking the next step: purchasing a DSLR. I had no plans to pick one up right away since they’re a little pricier; the plan was to save up for it and pick one up eventually.



I don’t chase trends, I don’t spend much money on my hair (aside from a simple haircut), I don’t have extravagant spending habits and I enjoy very simple things, so I was comfortable with the idea of treating myself to this small and rare luxury that I would enjoy immensely, and something that I would have for many years.


I spoke about it with my husband, and he said “You have a passion for photography, so you should have one."

I explained to him my ‘savings’ plan. He asked me how long I figured it would be before I’d have an SLR.

“I don’t know” I said. “Whenever I get to it. It’s not urgent.”

“Well...” He said. “I think you should have one now.”

And you know what he did?



He bought me one last month.


I resisted at first (What kind of woman resists shopping, right? A crazy one...) because it’s an unnecessary expense for us, but it didn’t take long before I folded like a cheap suit. I sold my cost-conscious soul to obtain a DSLR, and feel no shame in doing so!


A few days ago, one of my favourite bloggers, Kay, complimented me in the comments section of her wonderful blog “...you can't help it if you are an artist. Own your talents and use them!” I thank you, sweet Kay, and I don’t know if I am talented in photography, but I sure am passionate about it.

So...


Four days ago, I decided to finally begin to pursue this passion of mine even further by signing up for photography lessons. 10 hours worth. If I’m going to own this beautiful camera, I may as well learn to dance with it. And perhaps take more images like this one...

“Sometimes you have to take flight and pursue your passion.”
...naturally, not merely by sheer dumb luck.

So, be forewarned. There is a good chance I’m going to get camera-crazy and flood this blog with images. Classes don't start until June, so you're safe until then!

18 comments:

  1. I think its' great that you're going to take classes! I bet they'll teach some things you already know though sinc eyou've been doing it so long! :-) I chuckled when I saw the bird trying to eat from the feeder with the plastic thing in his way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little sparrow sure took its time figuring out how to get to the food. Not the brightest beak in the bunch! I'm really looking forward to these classes. I want to learn how to use my camera to its full potential, so I can really enjoy this hobby.

      By the way, TB, I've been trying to leave a comment on your blog and it's not working. All I get is a blank page. You might want to find out what's going on with that. (That's if you read this comment!)

      Delete
  2. Well Martha,I loved reading this. I have admired many of the photos on your blog - I think you are very gifted. I think you also have a real sweetheart of a hubby. But you're one as well, so you deserve that camera! Those bird photos are amazing, I hope you enjoy classes when they start. Love the saucy little shots of hubby, - nobody in Canada looks their age, is there something in the water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kitten. Yes, hubby is a big sweetheart. He takes care of me and I take care of him.

      There may very well be something in the water here that keeps most of us looking relatively young :)

      Delete
  3. Great post Martha! I always love your photos and I think it was money very well spent. Congrats on taking photography lessons. I took some about 20 years ago now - has it been that long? Wow! The course was in black and white and of course we were using film, which we learned to develop on our own - it was great fun. I could stand to take more classes now to keep up with technology. You will learn so much and I can't wait to see what kind of pics you will then be taking - you are already doing amazing work. Your hubby sounds like a great guy - I love it when spouses support and encourage one another's passions. And yes, he does look pretty darn good for someone in his 50's! (Actually that doesn't seem so old anymore anyways now that we're pushing it, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning to take courses like that in college, but didn't end up doing it. I don't really have regrets; it's just something that didn't work out. But like my husband says: "It's never too late." He's right - as long as it's something that we can do as we get older.

      No, 50 is not old anymore! I'm almost there, too.

      Delete
  4. I always love your pics that you've posted in the past, Martha. Congratulations on your new camera and enjoy your lessons in June. Life is so sweet when we are supported by our hubbies who still look good! So bring on the pics! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. Photography goes perfectly with my love for gardening. Yes, life is sweet when you have a great spouse. And we both do!

      Delete
  5. Nice bum. Where ya from? Hee hee

    Your man is a lovely human. I'm so excited for you!
    I cannot wait to see what you photograph next.
    I welcome everything you've got! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...yup, nice bum! He is a great guy. I thank my lucky stars for him all the time.

      Delete
  6. How exciting! I don't know what your new camera is so hopefully you will do ablog JUST on the new camera when you get it. You have a totally lovely husband!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I start my classes and learn more about my camera and photography, I will share it will all of you. Perhaps those of you who enjoy taking pictures will learn new things along with me.

      Delete
  7. I love your photography! Kay's right. You are an artist and you love doing what you do so you're just going to naturally excel at it. I yearn for a DSLR. I can't afford it as of yet, but one day I think I'll have one. Maybe if I'm really, really, really good, Santa will bring me one for Christmas this year. :) Enjoy your classes coming up and take flight! Awesome photography. I'm particularly fond of birds... and you have yourself a really great hubby. Those are so nice to have.

    Bright blessings,
    Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bird. I am very excited about this. A DSLR is something I have craved for a long time, but didn't count on getting one so soon. We've stretched ourselves a little with this expense, but sometimes you need to treat yourself to something special. It's rare I ever crave anything, so I don't feel too guilty!

      Delete
  8. Takes great pictures of things in motion. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha, these photos are great. I like all your photos. You will absolutely love your new DSLR camera. They allow you to do so much more. You are ahead of the game as you have an excellent 'eye'. One can know all there is to know about the technical side of cameras and not be able to 'see' what they are taking.....if you know what I mean.
    Looking forward to all the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim! That's very kind. I am madly in love with my new camera. And because it can do so much more than my old one, the classes will help me to truly get to know it. Once I have the basics down, I can really have a good time with it. I do understand what you mean by 'see'. My husband says I have 'a good eye' for photography. I told him he loves me, so he's biased...LOL... After my course, we will see what comes out of it. In any case, I plan to have a great time with this camera!

      Delete