Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mr. Robin Is Hitched!

Well, looks like Mr. Robin’s photo shoot last week was successful because he found a Mrs. Robin. And the two of them wasted no time setting up house. Here is Mrs. Robin working on building a nest for the upcoming little robins.


Female robins build nests out of grass and small twigs that are held together with mud. The nest, which is bowl-shaped, is 6 inches across, a few inches deep and 5 to 25 feet above the ground.


A female will lay 2 to 4 blue eggs, which are roughly the size of a quarter, and they'll take 11 to 14 days to hatch. Nestlings open their eyes when they are about five days old.


Robins make wonderful parents. They are very attentive to their babies. They take turns hunting for food for their young, and feed them every few minutes, all day long. They start before sunrise and don't stop until late evening.



It takes nestlings two weeks or so to develop feathers necessary to leave the nest. For the first couple of days out of the nest, fledglings can’t fly. Their parents feed them until they’ve learned to fend for themselves.



When the baby robins become fully independent, the parents will nest again. They typically nest two times per season, occasionally three. So I’ll get to enjoy this miracle of life all over again – right outside my kitchen window!



Mr. Robin is very proud. And he should be.



He’s got a beautiful Mrs. that he’ll create a beautiful family with. I can’t wait to see the babies.



16 comments:

  1. I was just watching a robin in the back yard picking up all the little dried left overs that I had pulled out of the garden from last year. I'm not sure where the nest is but I wish it were close by so I could watch them. I miss having the robins nesting all over the house. However, I think there may be a couple in the tree right outside my office window upstairs.

    Beautiful photos and enjoy watching their little family grow.

    Bright blessings,
    Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lot of fun to watch. They work so hard all day gathering food and putting together a nest. And when their babies are born, they are the most amazing parents. I really enjoy having this family so close to the house.

      Delete
  2. That is so cute! I look forward to seeing the babies when they arrive. They're industrious little creatures aren't they? Very admirable. Lovely photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nest is so close that it'll give me a chance to take some nice images of the parents feeding the babies later on! I can't wait.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I think that it was the bold look for Mr. Robin that did the trick!
    You are so lucky to have this robin's nest so closeby!!! I would also like to say that robins are never at the best of times, the best fliers, therefore, especially in the Spring, please watch out for the robins as they are frantically feeding their babies! (I see many that get hit by cars.) I love robins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...it could very well have been the bold look that got Mr. Robin hitched. But we'll never know because Mrs. Robin is not saying! You are right about them not being the best fliers, but they're safe where I live. In back of our home is a large green space, and we live on a crescent where only people that live here drive by, or people visiting. So there's hardly ever a car going by. I worry about them like you do, Kay, and hope they are all safe!

      Delete
  4. Oh how sweet! I am so happy for the two of them! May they have a wonderful life together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're very happy, and they will make beautiful babies!

      Delete
  5. Pretty bird. I really like your banner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole Marie! My banner was made to show some of my favourite photos.

      Delete
  6. There are so many robins around here, I think of the North End of St. Catharines as the Robin 'Hood. And they are all as handsome as your family of Robins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of robins around this time of year. They're such a joy to have around.

      Delete
  7. I love your pictures and your story. we had robins on our porch and we could watch from our stairs the mom feeding the little birds ..so fun!!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to watch! We've had a robin family nesting near our home for three years, but this year is the closest they've ever been. I will head over to your blog and visit, and become your newest follower, too.

      Delete
  8. I love this post! How lucky to be able to 'journal' this! Nice job Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! Their nest is very close to the window, which we open and close sometimes, and it's not too far up off the ground. Hopefully this doesn't scare them off and they end up abandoning the nest. I'd sure like to be able to take photos of the babies to come.

      Delete