Thursday, April 19, 2012

Squirrely Photos

Squirrels are everywhere: in your garden, on your bird feeders and wherever else food may be available. And despite how annoying they can be at times, they are one of the most entertaining backyard visitors.

"You talking to me?"

There are about 300 different types of squirrels around the world. In North America there are ten. They vary in size and can live between 10 – 12 years in the wild. They are also the cleanest animals in the rodent family. If their nest becomes infested with fleas or other parasites, they will move to, or build, a new nest.

"You want a piece of me.? Huh? Do ya?"

Their diet consists of nuts, seeds and fruit, but they will also eat bird eggs, bugs, and even an animal carcass if there is no other food source available. Squirrels require about two pounds of food a week, and if they can’t find it where they live, they will move to a new location.

"I'll let you off easy for some peanuts."

Squirrels typically live in tree trunk holes or in treetop crow’s nests. The homes in the treetops are called dreys and can consist of two rooms and a nursery. They’ve also been known to build nests in the most unusual places. Attics and crawl spaces are the most commonly-chosen areas, but automobiles, chimneys, barbecue grills and the underneath of porches have been used.

"How about some fruit?"

Regardless of the genetics that give them their coat colour, all squirrels are members of the Eastern Grey Squirrel family.

"Alright, I'll settle for some bread."

No matter how much trouble they cause, because of their silly antics and cute looks, squirrels are among of the best-loved animals.

12 comments:

  1. Nice! I've noticed a sqirrel around my bird feeder recently. It doesn't take them long to find new sources of food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it sure doesn't. They are always my first customers when I put food out!

      Delete
  2. For starters, I didn't know that they were so clean. If only humans could just up and move when they get pests in their homes, haha! Secondly, you said there are 10 varieties of squirrels in the US, are they all different colors or what? Because that black looking squirrel in your photos is crazy looking. I didn't know black squirrels existed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only humans could do that! I'm assuming that the ten types do look somewhat different. I'd never seen a black squirrel until I moved here three years ago. I'm used to them now, but at the time I thought they were really weird.

      Delete
  3. Ok, I admit it, I am a squirrel nut! I love the goofy little critters. We have tons of them -- the gray squirrel and eastern red squirrels. I love to watch them and they are so cute! Your squirrels are really pretty with their coloration. Our gray squirrels are solid gray and some are gray with white undersides. We have an older squirrel who has white ears! We have also seen white squirrels around our area, I have a picture on my blog somewhere. Thanks for spreading a little squirrel love! ~~Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of gray squirrels around here, but I find these so much more interesting. I've never seen a white squirrel, but I would imagine it's very pretty. I also like squirrels; I just wish they wouldn't eat so much!

      Delete
  4. I have never seen one with the colors that you have. Ours are grey with silver and black tails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black squirrel was new to me, too, when I moved here three years ago. I've never seen a grey one with a black tail, though. That must be quite interesting.

      Delete
  5. I love how he's holding his paws:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love squirrels too. When I was a kid I was enchanted that they exist at all. And they are not a nuisance elsewhere in the world, they barely exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so abundant here that I guess we take it for granted. I think they're cute, and so much fun to watch!

      Delete