Thursday, May 17, 2012

Baby Squirrel...(*squeal*)...In My Garden

Of all the critters that have visited my backyard so far, this little girl is my favourite. I do apologize to the robin, the chipmunk, the blue jay and all the rest of the cute animals that drop by.

“I still love all you guys but look at her...”


Isn’t this little one the cutest thing you’ve ever seen?



She wasn’t sure of me at first, but it didn’t take her long to feel safe, so she started heading down the tree and then...



...jumped onto the sunflower feeder. She may be little, but she already knows where the food stash is --- and already being a pest at the feeders. But cute enough to get away with it.




She ate from the feeder for the longest time and then decided to see what goodies are on the ground. I inched my way closer to capture more photos. She hid in the grass for a second or two, as if I couldn’t see her, and watched me carefully.


As soon as I stopped moving, she settled down to eat.



Once in awhile, she’d lift herself up and check me out, but for the most part she didn’t mind that I was nearby. She wasn’t willing to give up the grub that easily.




In most species of squirrel, the young are weaned at around six to ten weeks of age, and this young lady looks to be about that old. Or rather, that young.



Once she was on the ground, I sat on the grass with my camera in hand snapping away happily. She was okay with me there as long as I didn’t move suddenly and startle her.


Look at this sweet baby face. I want to kiss the tip of her nose!


Baby animals are so darn adorable, aren’t they?

18 comments:

  1. What a little doll-face! Such a cutie, I'm loving all your brilliant photos Martha. Her little tufty ears are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she just the sweetest? It's those tufty ears that I just adore!

      Delete
  2. That holding-front-paws-together thing that they do.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh! What a cute wittle baby!!! I kept making all the noises you make (well, the noises we women seem to make) when you see a sweet, cute little fuzzy muffin like that. How adorable. Ooos, ahhh, oooohhh... How sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...yes, I make those noises, too. My husband and I were in the garden when this cutie showed up. He was working hard and I was playing with my camera and making those cute noises.

      Delete
  4. Oh, look at that little face! I like her tufty ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How incredibly precious!! Every shot captures a different expression it seems. I am surprised to learn she's only a few weeks old, I actually though she might be a mommy or maybe mommy-to-be squirrel since she has swollen teats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very curious about her environment, and even me, so she was a lot of fun to photograph. The swollen teats are really confusing. I'm assuming she's a young one because of her size. If you'd see her in person, you'd understand what I mean (she looks bigger in the photos). In real life she's about 1/3 the size of the adult squirrels I see, even the females. She's an itsy bitsy thing. So her size indicates she's very young, but her swollen teats indicate she's a mom (or a mom-to-be). I'm wondering if she was the runt of a litter and just undersized. But then, her youthful face and tufty ears also indicate she's young. So...????? LOL...

      Delete
  6. She really is adorable! I wonder if squirrels stay in the same neighbourhood that they were born in. I guess I'm saying that she seems too young to be on her own. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Francie, because she's tiny. She looks much bigger in the photos. In real life she seems way too small to be on her own.

      Delete
  7. What a sweetie! What great pictures! They are so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lot of fun to watch! They really liven up my garden.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet baby she is!
    Martha, you are having so much fun with your new camera aren't you! I can tell! These shots are wonderful....I especially like the first 'grass'ground shot. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I am having the time of my life! How did I ever manage without my DSLR?? And to think that I put up a fight AGAINST this camera when my husband wanted to buy me one. Temporary insanity...LOL...

      Delete
  9. We have lots of squirrels running about our yard but I have yet to see any youngins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time a tiny one has shown up in my garden; I guess you can tell by how overly-excited I am :)

      Delete