Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Beautiful Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’

I can’t say enough about the beautiful Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’, which is now in its third season in my garden. And I know I should have waited before snapping photos since the plant is still growing, but I just couldn’t help myself. I had to share it with you, so that maybe you can discover it as well if you haven’t already.





Even without flowers, it is a stunning plant with its heart-shaped, delicately veined leaves. It’s a very easy to grow perennial, and a perfect choice for those shady areas.





Here is some care information:

Sun Exposure: Partial shade or full shade

Soil Type: Normal, sandy or clay

Soil pH: Neutral, alkaline or acid

Soil Moisture: Average or moist

Care Level: Easy

Flower Colour: Light/medium blue

Blooming Time: Mid spring, late spring

Foliage Color: Light green/silver variegated

Plant Characteristics: Deer and rabbit resistant

Flower Head Size: Medium

Height: 30-40 cm (12-16 inches)

Spread: 30-45 cm (12-18 inches)

Growth Rate: Medium





Don’t hesitate to add this to a shady area in your garden if you get the chance. You’ll be so glad you did.

8 comments:

  1. What a pretty plant, and I like that it prefers some shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shade feature was one of my favourite things about it. Great for those spots that are hard to fill with plants.

      Delete
  2. Hurray! I finally did the right garden thing! I just bought jack frost home last week. It seems very happy in its new home. The lady I bought it from also had one that had been in her garden for 3 years and it was so beautiful I spent more than i wanted to and brought him here. Now I know I made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! You will loooove this plant. It gets more and more beautiful as it ages. The first year I planted it, it hardly looked worth the money I spent for it. But I'd seen it in a friend's garden in its mature state and I knew it was only a matter of time before it grew to be beautiful. Enjoy your new plant!

      Delete
  3. I love them! The flowers remind me of forget-me-nots and the frosted leaves are so pretty. I am sure I can find room in my garden....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous and deserving of a spot in the garden!

      Delete
  4. The blossom looks like 'Forget-Me-Nots'. Love the blue! Shade eh? Now that our garden is all about shade.....thanks Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your garden is all about shade, this is the perfect choice for it. Beautiful foliage and pretty flowers...it doesn't get any better.

      Delete