Friday, May 4, 2012

The Chipmunk and ‘The Bribe’

As you all know, I have no shame in bribing my backyard critters with food, so they can come closer, which in turn gives me ample opportunities to snap photos of them. No shame. But a couple of days ago I sunk to a new low by asking my innocent 14-year-old daughter to participate in my sleazy schemes. I expected some resistance but nooooo; she eagerly jumped at the opportunity to join me. A real chip off the old shoulder this kid of mine. She just couldn’t resist the subject involved: Mr. Inski. No one can resist the charm of Mr. Inski. Especially the friendly Inski in the photos.

So this is how it all went down...


I planted myself in a chair nearby while my daughter offered ‘the bribe’.



It didn’t take long for Mr. Inski to appear, clearly intrigued by ‘the bribe’.



He hid behind a leaf for a few seconds, acting all nonchalant and stuff, pretending he didn’t really care about ‘the bribe’, but he wasn’t fooling anyone. You can tell that he wants ‘the bribe’. Really, really wants it.



Eventually he caved in and ran over. Because he sees me more often outside, he assumed that I was offering ‘the bribe’.

“No, Mr. Inski” I said. “Go see ‘the chip off the old shoulder’ over there. She has the goods. Plus, you're standing too close to the camera and it won't focus properly.”



So he started heading over to ‘the chip off the old shoulder’.



Slowly, cautiously getting closer…



Until he was close enough to be able to smell ‘the bribe’ to make sure it’s authentic.



Sniff...sniff...sniff...



Sniiiiiiiiffffff... IT’S. REALLY. A. PEANUT!



And SNAP the camera went as he accepted ‘the bribe’!




At this point my daughter and I were squealing with delight. Quietly. With no sounds coming out of our mouths. Like mimes. We didn’t want to scare him off, you know.




Mr. Inski was now in complete possession of ‘the bribe’ and because he didn’t want to risk being mugged by the other critters and having ‘the bribe’ taken from him (it’s a tough neighbourhood), he decided to take ‘the bribe’ back to his den.

So he rolled it around his mouth.



And rolled it around a little more.



Making sure he had a good grip on it...



Then quickly turned around...



...and ran like the wind.



That concludes the story of Mr. Inski, ‘the bribe’ and ‘the chip off the old shoulder’. I hope you enjoyed it.

12 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! He is such an adorable little critter, I'd be out there 24/7. Fab photos - he is so,so cute, I love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is adorable. I've been wanting to take this series of shots for so long, but needed someone to do it with me. My daughter was more than happy to help!

      Delete
  2. Dear Martha,
    Partners in crime! What a lovely post! Very good photos, that last one made me laugh, you catching him darting away. Chipmunks are fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are fast. That last photo was just a lucky shot. I wish my shutter speed had been faster, so the image can be a little clearer, but better than nothing!

      Delete
  3. Great photos -- love that last "action shot" especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to catch this little critter in action because he's so fast, but I got lucky with that one shot!

      Delete
  4. Haha! I've never gotten a yard animal to do that before! Maybe it's because I lose patience. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a lot of patience to get these animals to trust you -- a little. Thankfully, I have oodles of that.

      Delete
  5. Must be chipmunk season. I was out taking photos today, too. Mr. Inski is so danged adorable. I don't get to take shots like that because I have to do the feeding and the photographing. Those are great shots. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely out and about. I have a few chipmunks that visit my yard but only one that is as tame as this one. And you do need someone to offer the food while you photograph. Thankfully, my daughter didn't mind being patient with me.

      Delete
  6. That is one great picture story! I can just imagine your silent squeals. And I must ask, are you absolutely sure Mr. Inski is a mister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...no, I am not certain that this is a mister! It could, in fact, be a Mrs. Inski. But I started calling this little critter 'Mr.' from the start and it's just stuck.

      Delete