Friday, May 25, 2012

Clematis Niobe Has Finally Bloomed

I don’t have much experience with Clematis, and to be honest, have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to these plants. Still, I do love them, so I’ve planted three in my garden. And despite my shortcomings, these lovely plants are growing reasonably well. From all three, Clematis Niobe seems the most patient – and forgiving - of my inexperience. It started growing rapidly from quite awhile back, filling up nicely with leaves, and teasing me for the longest time with flower buds.

When I discovered the buds, I was very excited about it, and waited eagerly for the flowers to emerge; checking daily for changes.



And waited...



And waited...



Clematis Niobe was not in a hurry.



The plant took its time opening up the buds.



A little bit at a time each day.



Then more and more...



...but still very slowly.



And finally...



...the flowers began to emerge.



These gorgeous, deep ruby-red flowers...



...had been worth the wait.



Because nothing quite compares...



...to the flowers on a Clematis vine.



Niobe is one of the most popular clematis to grow, and many gardeners consider it one of the best. That certainly includes me.


12 comments:

  1. Lovely series of photos. My clematis is budding but hasn't opened yet. I'll have to get out there with my camera and get some photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, get out there and snap away. It's so nice to capture the blooms as they develop. Each step is magical. It makes for a great set of photos.

      Delete
  2. How patient you are! But i agree it was well worth it. What a beutiful plant and your photography certainly does it justce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no choice but to be patient. Mother Nature doesn't like to be told what to do...LOL... I'm at her mercy.

      Delete
  3. Clematis flowers are truly gorgeous! Great pics Martha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these plants. I didn't even know of them until we moved here three years ago. Now I'm always trying to figure out where to add more.

      Delete
  4. Spectacular! We have a couple of clematis plants in our backyard, growing on a trellis against the side of the garage. All I know about clematis is that they like to have their roots shaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about all I truly know about Clematis, and they seem to be fine with that!

      Delete
  5. oh my gosh, she is spectacular. I had never seen this flower before, but she is stunning. It is even more amazing you were able to capture each moment of her blooming process in its beauty and splendor. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take a lot of photos throughout the gardening season, specifically to capture the process of flowers developing. I find it so precious -- and fascinating!

      Delete
  6. WOW! Incredible Martha! So worth the wait I see. There is so much to learn about these vines and I understand, through Ron, our clematis guy around here, that there are three main varieties that each require specific care. Ron went 'crazy' for a couple of years planting many and has had some success.
    His 'bible' for clematis care is:
    'An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Clematis' by Mary K.Toomey. It is available through 'Indigo/Chapters and probably Amazon.ca It may be pricey but worth it in the long run.
    Your photos blow me away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron is right; there are three different kinds. I haven't quite figured out exactly what I should be doing for each one, but I'm slowly learning. I will definitely look up the book you recommended. Thank you! Every little bit helps.

      Delete