Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ducks In The Garden? Sure, Why Not...

So there I was the other day in my garden shed, loading up items in my arms to carry out into the backyard when I heard “quacking”. You know what I’m talking about; the sound that ducks make. I didn’t think much of it at the time; I figured it was coming from the open green space behind our home. In addition to all the beautiful greenery in that section, there’s also a creek that runs through it, and a pond nearby, so it’s not all that strange to see a duck or a goose or a number of other birds passing through or hanging around. There’s even a heron that stops by the pond now and then that I’m hoping to photograph one of these days.

Anyhow...

I stepped out into the garden...when what to my wondering eyes should appear… Oh, sorry, that’s from that Christmas poem...

Let’s try again.

So I stepped out into the garden and what do I see? Ducks. Just casually walking around my garden like it’s such a normal thing to do.



I stood frozen for the longest time with pots and saucers and bird feeders and ornaments and whatever other garden gizmos and gadgets I had loaded up in my arms. And I kept repeating over and over again “You’re kidding me, right?”



When the initial shock wore off, I calmly put down all the garden goodies I was carrying, and slowly and quietly walked toward the birds.



My beloved DSLR camera, the newest love in my life, was in the house. IN THE HOUSE! I had intended to take it out...later. Boy did I regret not having it on me. Here was this great photo opportunity and my camera was IN THE HOUSE.

Thankfully, I had my small point and shoot camera hanging by my side, so I could at least take a few shots, albeit it of poorer quality, just to prove that this really happened.



If I hadn’t had my small camera to record the moment, I would be like ‘Big Bird’ on Sesame Street who was the only one who saw Mr. Snuffleupagus, a woolly mammoth-like creature with long eyelashes (save for the kids watching the show). The adults believed Snuffleupagus was just an imaginary friend, and it took years for Big Bird to finally prove that his shaggy friend was not a figment of his imagination.

That would be me, but with ducks.

“She says she saw ducks in the back yard.”

“Huh...is that so? Sounds to me like she’s been sniffing the fertilizer.”


So a few hasty, poor quality images are better than none, because at least everyone will believe my story.


Ducks. Of all things. Word must be getting around about all that food I put out there for my backyard critters, and this couple decided to come over and investigate.


Ducks. Imagine that. I wonder what’s next.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think the deer would really surprise me. I'd be wondering how the heck it got over the fence...LOL...

      Delete
  2. We have had a pair of ducks just like your's visiting our yard or adjoining yards for the last number of years. One neighbour calls them George and Gracie and another neighbour calls them Heathcliff and Catherine. I've seen them land in another neighbour's pool. They are beautiful. Anyway, I love your pictures even if they are with your other camera :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny, Cathy! I love that your neighbours name them. I do see the ducks at the pond near the library, but this is the first time they've ever visited my yard. I am tempted to add a child-sized pool just to get them to come swimming here. That would be so funny!

      Delete
  3. We usually have duck visitor in our back yard too. They love cat food and at that time we feed a few of the feral cats. But the cats have gone and the food is no longer out but they still come by now and then to see what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat food? Wow, that is so interesting. That must have been such a treat for them. I do hope they continue to visit now and then. They were fun to watch.

      Delete
  4. Clearly, they were coming to visit your gnome. :-)

    I'm a little bit jealous, Martha...I've never had a duck visitor, though I've had many others from the wildlife kingdom come to our yard. Maybe it's for the best, since we have a good many coyotes and bobcats who would probably find ducks to be quite a tasty treat.

    I like your duck pictures. And I LOVED the shots of the columbine in a previous post. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...yes, the gnome! Actually, the GNOMES. I have a while society of them here. And it's worth it because the garden looks great; they are clearly doing a good job.

      I'm not worried about coyotes and bobcats, but I do worry that the hawk will swoop down and grab one of these lovely birds.

      Delete
  5. How adorable! The word is obviously out that it's Halloween everyday at your house :)
    Still good pics nonetheless. Your new camera is amazing - I love the squirrel & chipmunk shots from Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...yes, it is Halloween everyday at my place. The animals are talking amongst themselves. I am really enjoying the new camera. I never knew what the big deal was about DSLR cameras --- and now I can't imagine not having one!

      Delete
  6. LOL! Good that you had the little camera with you, Martha! Wonder if they will return and try out some of your plants? Then what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then they won't be as cute anymore...LOL... I don't mind all that much, actually. I have rabbits that visit, and they munch away on certain plants. What can you do?

      Delete
  7. Cute little guys!!!! I would love to see a deer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really cute. Watching them walk around quacking was so much fun.

      Delete