Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flowers, Flowers Everywhere

I’ve been really busy in the backyard this past week, spending hour upon hour getting garden chores done. The weather didn’t cooperate yesterday, so I decided to use that time to clean up the house that was being taken over by dust bunnies and cat hair. Today is looking better, so I’ll be out there again digging, planting, mulching, and so on.

Finding time for the internet has been tough, but I’m somehow managing to visit my favourite blogs and keep up to date with some news, albeit it very fleetingly. My own blog has a lot of prescheduled posts, which is nice, but in order to share garden news or the latest photos of my backyard critters, I have to squeeze in some time for it. Like right now. For some flowers that are popping up around me. In every flower bed. I have dozens upon dozens of plants in my garden, so you can imagine what it’s going to be like out there for the next few weeks: flower, flowers everywhere!

Come along with me for a glimpse of some of the beauty that surrounds me:


These tiny flowers belong to Pulmonaria saccharata ‘Sissinghurst White’, which is overflowing with blooms.




Bellis perennis 'Galaxy Red' only grows to about 6 inches, but it produces the most beautiful daisy flowers.




Pulsatilla vulgaris is still hanging around, but it’s mostly made up of seed heads now, some of which I will scatter around to encourage self-seeding to occur.




My Purpleleaf Sand Cherry is just about done flowering, but there are still some very pretty blooms lingering.




The beautiful Aquilegia vulgaris 'Mellow Yellow' continues to be overloaded with blooms that are simply stunning.





The foliage alone is gorgeous on the Lamiastrum galeobdolon ‘Hermann’s Pride’, but it also shows off some lovely little yellow flowers.





This pretty little thing goes by the name of Viola sororia ‘Freckles’, which seems perfectly fitting for the spotted blooms it produces.




Helleborus × hybridus ‘Peppermint Ice’, which I’d hoped would finally bloom this year, has not only showered me with flowers, but hasn’t stopped doing so for quite some time now.




Lamium maculatum ‘Anne Greenaway’ is another small plant with gorgeous foliage that will shower your garden with pretty blooms.




This amazing little flower that looks like a heart with wings belongs to Dicentra spectabilis ‘Alba’, a very popular perennial. It’s just getting started, so I hope to snap more photos in the near future.



And that’s it for today. I will be back with more garden tours very soon. Have a nice day, everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous, Martha! I cannot believe how many blooms the Mellow Yellow columbine has!

    And, by the way, I can definitely relate to how busy this time of year can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. That columbine has been astounding this year. Talk about a happy plant :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, You guys are so far ahead of us. I don't have anything that's in bloom or even close, except my chives! Everybody's practically still just peeking their heads out of the soil. Gorgeous pics - it's hard to pick a favourite, but if pressed, it'd be the sand cherry flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in a warmer zone, so that would make sense. You wouldn't believe how much growth is out there in a matter of only two weeks. When those perennials get going, they explode!

      Delete
  3. Your pictures just get more and more beautiful. Fell in love with 'Herman's Pride". I don't blame you for spending so much quality time in your garden, it is truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hermann’s Pride is a gorgeous little plant. It's perfect to add in the front as an edging plant. I do spend a lot of time in my garden working hard, but the plants reward me with these gorgeous flowers, so it's worth it.

      Delete
  4. WOW! Martha these are lovely! I especially like the Hellebore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellebores are such great plants. I only have one type in my garden, but I hope to add at least one or two more this year.

      Delete