Monday, May 14, 2012

The Nosy Seagull

My husband took me for ice cream a couple of Sundays ago (you’re never too old for ice cream), and because it was such a beautiful day, we decided to eat it while sitting outside.

Of course, who should show up at the sniff of something to eat but a nosy seagull? Well, obviously I snapped a few photos of him (or her) since I had my camera on me. Again. I’m getting to the point where I can’t leave home without it in order to avoid missing some great photo opportunity.

Anyway, here are some photos of ‘the nosy’ seagull, and some interesting bits of information.




Gulls, commonly known as ‘seagulls’, are monogamous and typically pair for life; they display mate fidelity that usually lasts for the life of the pair. Divorce of mated pairs does occur, but not too often.




Most gulls also return to the same colony after breeding there once, and even go so far as breeding in the same location within that colony. Colonies vary from just a few pairs to over a hundred thousand pairs, and may be exclusive to that gull species or shared with other seabird species.




They nest in large, densely packed noisy colonies and lay two to three speckled eggs in nests composed of vegetation. Both male and female are very attentive parents and take turns incubating, feeding and protecting their young. Most gulls breed once a year and have predictable breeding seasons lasting for three to five months.




These highly-adaptable, opportunistic feeders will eat almost anything, and will go to great (and unusual lengths) to grab a bite to eat – including diving down and snatching food right out of a person’s hand.




Perhaps one of their most remarkable traits is their ability to drink salt water. Seagulls have a special pair of glands right above their eyes which help to flush out the salt from their system. Thus, they are able to spend many days out at sea without the need to return to land for fresh water.




Gulls can be pests, but most of them are not. The vast majority live in the wild and don’t clash with people.




And that is the end of ‘the nosy’ seagull photoshoot. In case any of you were wondering, I did not give this bird any of my ice cream – a treat that I will not share! Mine, all mine...

“Get your own, beak face!”

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha! The poor starving sea gull. I'm sure s/he will know better than to come looking for ice cream from you! An I must say that is interesting about the sea water. I had never heard that before, but then the ones we have here aren't near any salt water. Loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such nosy critters when food is present. I'm surprised he/she didn't just grab the ice cream right out of my hand!

      Delete
  2. You seem to be a magnet for nosy, demanding wildlife . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I figure the animals gossip amongst themselves. My name is out there :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! In the last photo he looks so inquisitive... guess he was just demanding his food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably was. These birds will devour just about anything, and I'm sure he would have been happy if I'd tossed him my ice cream!

      Delete
  4. Of course in Florida we have a lot of them. And it seems their favorite food is McDonald's french fries. lol (Can't blame them... I love them too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French fries seem to be such a favourite to humans - and animals! I like their fries, too.

      Delete