Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pretty In White

One of my columbines, Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Mellow Yellow’, has finally bloomed. The plant is so big, and so overloaded with flowers that have opened and flowers waiting to open, that I wonder how it stays upright under all that weight.

Look at the flower that is produced. Isn’t it just gorgeous?



Columbines are among the most popular perennials, and – according to some research - they have been grown in gardens for centuries. Imagine that.



Columbines are relatively short lived, but they self sow if you allow some of the plant to go to seed..



This plant is deer and rabbit resistant, which I’ve discovered is an important factor. Not so much the deer, although we did see a buck running by behind our home one winter (of all things), but definitely the rabbit; they do come into our yard and eat up some of my plants. So if this plant is resistant to them, it’s another attractive feature.



Full sun or partial shade works well, so it’s quite adaptable.



‘Mellow Yellow’ is also extremely easy to grow, so if you’re a novice, this is a great plant to start with.

12 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous plant. I'm waiting for mine to flower, the buds are there, so it shouldn't be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is absolutely gorgeous! One of my favourite spring bloomers!

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! Deer and rabbit resistant, eh? What about pre-teen skateboard resistant?? I have a lot of them roving through every day about 4 o'clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...that is funny, Francie! Perhaps the threat of chores may deter them :)

      Delete
  3. I love the columbines! The large ones never seem to survive long in my garden, I do have a double that is ready to bloom soon though. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Columbines make the prettiest flowers. I have three in my garden, and I may be tempted to another another this year. I can't resist!

      Delete
  4. And now I have that song in my head "They call me mellow yellow..." Hehe, pretty flowers though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful. I miss my Columbine. I had a couple different kinds, if I can remember correctly. It's been a while. I grew them when I lived in my rural country home because they're so pretty and delicate and because they were resistant to the deer and rabbits, of which were abundant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful additions to the garden. No fuss plants that produce beautiful flowers.

      Delete