Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Stroll Through The Garden

I can’t tell you just how much work I’ve gotten done in the garden in the past week or two, or how many new perennials I’ve added. And there’s still room in some of the flower beds for more plants. I’m exhausted. But it’s a good type of exhaustion; the type that feeds the soul.

In addition to some perennials and a few annuals, I’ve also planted some vegetables. Not that many; just enough to get me started on growing homegrown food: a couple of cherry tomato plants, a couple of peppers (red and orange), a zucchini and an eggplant. Plus I threw in some herbs for good measure: oregano, parsley and basil. See, not all that much. I just don’t have enough experience yet with veggies and herbs, so I’m getting into it slowly.

As far as fruits go, I have three strawberry plants in one of the flower beds, and I’ve planted a raspberry, blueberry and blackberry bush on the left side of the yard; all three of which are growing very well so far.

On the other side of my garden (basking in the sun) is this season’s star addition: a cherry tree! Yes, we bought and planted a cherry tree a few weeks ago and it is absolutely adorable.

Take a look:


Isn’t it the cutest little thing? It’s tiny, but it will grow.

And, of course, there’s always flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. Come along, once again, for another stroll through my garden...


Even as the flowering season comes to an end for Pulsatilla vulgaris, it doesn’t leave quietly. There are three or four flowers left on the plant, and they are simply gorgeous.




I have a couple of ferns growing in one of my flower beds, although I’m not sure what types they are. My friend Joy who lives here in Kingston (author of a wonderful gardening blog, and a gardening guru) gave them to me a couple of years ago. They are not quite full grown yet, but they’re already looking spectacular.




I planted Aster alpinus 'Happy End' last year under my kitchen window quite late in the season last year, so I never got a chance to see it bloom. The flowers are even prettier than I’d hoped for.





In 2010, we planted Syringa meyeri 'Palibin', a dwarf lilac tree. It was so tiny and frail-looking that first year that I was afraid it wouldn’t get through the winter. But it did. And it’s now headed into its third season. It’s grown a little since we brought it home, but still quite small. And yet, despite its size, it is loaded with glorious lilac blooms. Every time I’m near there, it smells heavenly.




These spectacular white flowers belong to Anemone sylvestris; one of my favourite plants.





My Iris pallida ‘Aureo Variegata’, which I added in 2010, had never bloomed until now. The blooms are magnificent.







My two Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’ plants have not only exploded in blooms, they’ve also exploded in growth. As soon as they’re done flowering, I’ll have to trim and tidy them up. I am happy that they are doing so well.



How many times have I said that I am in love with columbines? I am. Especially when I see flowers like the ones Aquilegia 'McKana Hybrids' boasts.




Here is a quick glimpse of one of my large flower beds. As you can see, there is still plenty of room for more plants. This section has taken longer to fill because large patches of it sit in the shade for several hours a day. It’s been a bit of a challenge to find plants (I like) that will fare well here. The chair in the photo is one of a few where I plant myself with camera in hand and patiently wait for photo opportunities.



This is another place where I sit with camera in hand and snap photos of my backyard critters. I can sit there for long stretches of time in deep thought as I take in the serenity of Mother Nature; my favourite place to be.



And finally, my favourite discovery on this stroll: my wonderful husband...the best addition to my garden of life.



Thanks for walking along with me. If you’re ever in the neighbourhood, join me in the backyard; that’s where I’ll be.

12 comments:

  1. I like that cozy spot up against the house - that's where you'll find me if I stop by unannounced! I also planted a few veggies this year, I've had gardens in the past, but not for a number of years - so starting small as well. Love all your pics - your new camera was definitely worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, you are welcome to stop by any time! When you visit Kingston, we will make it a point of getting together. I am not very experienced with veggies, so I don't want to go overboard with them. If I grow them well, perhaps I'll expand next year. If not, I may not even bother again. I'll wait and see.

      Delete
  2. Also, love your cute lighthouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome couple you are!
    And what a lovely lovely garden. I only know lilac bushes from England, but it it such a heavenly fragrance, I wish they would grow in the South!
    I love your chair where you watch and take photos of your birds.
    I love these photos you took of all your flowers. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. This is my sanctuary. It is peaceful and I squeeze in as much time there as I can. Lilacs smell heavenly, although they can be very overwhelming if grown too close to the home where the scent travels into the house, or if too many flowers are brought into the home. But if you just get a whiff, it is wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations of the new cherry tree! I love your close up photos of the plants. If only my eyes could see that clearly when I'm standing in front of a flower. Or maybe they do and I just don't remember. I guess that is the camera's task - to help us remember. And yes your hubby is a wonderful addition to your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that little cherry tree. I got the idea from a favourite blogger's post (Jim from Ocean Breezes - he has commented right below you). He wrote about his cherry tree and I just had to have one! It's a teeny tiny little thing, but it will grow to be beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Martha, I can feel your passion for gardening as I read along. The ferns are Japanese Painted Ferns. They are lovely eh?
    Yours photos never cease to amaze me, great captures. You remind me of where we were at the beginning of our garden and a couple of years into it.....all that energy you are putting in the garden will be so appreciated in a few years when you are 'maintaining' it and not adding too much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those ferns are very lovely. I have a huge passion for gardening, and I enjoy working out there, but I do look forward to when it's all completed. We have been working on this garden since we moved here three years ago, and since we are doing it all ourselves, it's been a slow process that will last for a few more years. But it's worth it. Eventually it'll all be completed and we'll just kick back and enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. just beautiful. and those irises are exquisite -- fearfully and wonderfully made :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, those irises are amazing; far more beautiful than I'd hoped for.

      Delete