Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Today's Trivia - Leo The Lion

Recognize this hairy dude? (The one standing on the box)


That's Slats, the first lion filmed as a mascot for the Hollywood film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). He must have been very well-trained to stand patiently on a box, face a camera, roar when cued, and suppress the urge to eat the crew.

Since 1924 (when the studio was formed), five lions have graced the start of every MGM movie (Slats, Jackie, Tanner, George, Leo), even though we often refer to all the lions as ‘Leo’.

Leo is the longest-lived lion. He made his debut in 1957 and has been the mascot for over 50 years.

8 comments:

  1. Give that lion an Oscar! Seems more talented than the rest of Hollywood put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized that is where the term Leo the Lion came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I until I read this. You really do learn something new every day.

      Delete
  3. He is absolutely gorgeous. I feel bad for him having to stand on boxes etc; I hope all the lions had good, well-fed lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure is gorgeous. Although these animals are quite exploited, I'm sure. I just hope they were treated kindly.

      Delete
  4. I did not know about these lions! But have wondered where they got that 'shot' of hi. Thanks for this tidbit Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your friendly neighbourhood 'useless but interesting information' source. LOL...

      Delete