Monday, June 11, 2012

Baby Robin

I had intended to write a longer, more introspective post for today, but yesterday was a gorgeous day, so we decided to get outdoors and enjoy the weather instead of sitting in front of a computer.

One of my favourite things to do is to take day trips and visit neighbouring towns. Sometimes I do a little research and pinpoint areas of interest before we venture into new areas. Other times we simply jump in the car and head to ‘wherever’. And that’s what we did yesterday. Headed to ‘wherever’. We jumped into the car and drove west to a couple of areas nearby. We had no idea where to go or what to visit, but eventually found two places that always work for us: 1) The Dairy Queen (can you possibly go wrong with ice cream?) and 2) a park by the lake. Give me a spot near water anytime and I’m as happy as can be.

Anyway, so all that to say that there’s no philosophical, thought-provoking post for today. Just a few pictures of a baby robin that stopped by for a visit early last week.


This little cutie was hanging around with his papa all afternoon. I’m assuming dear old dad was showing him the ropes.



When they flew into this tree, papa robin left baby robin on a branch and flew off to find some food. Baby robin waited patiently for papa to return without making a sound and without moving one step. Until I moved closer with the camera. Baby robin was a little startled by the sound of my camera and he tried to fly further away. He could barely fly and ended up crashing into branches, but eventually landed on one safely.



When papa robin returned, he went to the branch where he had left baby robin waiting. When he didn’t see baby robin, he anxiously called out to him. Baby robin chirped loudly “I’m here, papa, I’m over here”, and papa robin flew to him. It was the cutest thing watching these two calling out to each other.



How could baby robin not respond to papa when papa was returning with food? Baby robins have huge appetites and eat several times a day. Papa and mama robins work very hard to keep a baby robin’s belly full.



After baby robin was fed, he flew away with papa into the next yard. But I did manage to take one last photo of him before he was gone.



It’s moments like these that make me sigh and say “Life is simply beautiful.”

18 comments:

  1. Brilliant photos. There's something about robins that makes me smile every time I see one. They always look so cheery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. They make me smile, too. I think part of it is the fact that they are the first birds to arrive in early spring, which reminds us that winter is finally over. Always a good thing!

      Delete
  2. Oh what wonderful photos, Martha! A baby robin was just what I needed on this Monday morning. You're not going to believe this, but just as I started looking at your post, Benjamin called out to me and said, "Come look at this baby robin!" And there, in our back yard was a daddy and baby robin!

    I'm glad you and your family got to visit "wherever" yesterday. We go there sometimes, too, and almost always enjoy it. :-) Sounds like you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Wherever' always turns out to be the best place to be. I enjoy being outdoors; nature is a very good friend of mine. So glad you got your own baby robin visiting!

      Delete
  3. Love the colour contrast in these! I'd much rather hear you were out enjoying the beautiful weather - although I always enjoy them, the introspective posts can wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With such long winters, we have oodles of time for introspective posts! May as well enjoy the nice weather while we can.

      Delete
  4. It was a beautiful day yesterday and I'm so glad you were able to enjoy exploring wherever. We also are enjoying seeing the baby robin with mom and dad anxiously watching over him. It's really interesting to hear the different levels of sound and pitch when they are communicating back and forth. Thank you for the wonderful pictures that accompany your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy listening to them communicate. I love robin families. The parents work very hard all day long, and are very dedicated to their families, especially their babies. And the babies are quiet and well-behaved. They are a joy to have around.

      Delete
  5. I listened to a bird biologist once who insisted all robins say is ,"I'm a robin! I'm a robin!" Obviously they have a much larger vocabulary than that. Thanks for such a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think they have a larger vocabulary. I sit and watch them interact and find it quite fascinating.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet little baby tweet. I love baby robins, they're so cute. Watching them get their "feet" and their "wings" under control... I always hold my breath when they make their first few attempts. We have a lot of robins around here this year. We normally don't so i can't wait to start seeing the babes hopping about very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty scary watching them attempt to fly. And I always worry about them because of all the neighbourhood cats that roam the streets. Outdoor cats are very hard on the bird population and I hate to think how tough it is for these young birds to survive.

      Delete
  7. Martha, so so beautiful. I am still amazed on how you are able to get these shots. They are absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you, Ana! I'm so glad you like them.

      Delete
  8. You are getting some really great shots with that camera. I haven't had a chance to look at one yet but that is on my to do list for this year. I really love the clarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As time goes on, I like this camera more and more. Watch out for sales; this camera is always on special somewhere and you might be able to get it at a better price than what it's listed at.

      Delete