Friday, June 15, 2012

Hometown Memories: The Cereal

I was thinking about my brother earlier this week; he celebrated his 51st birthday just a few days ago, and it had me thinking, once again, about where all the years have gone. It seems like only yesterday that we were kids.

Anyway, so I started reminiscing about our childhood days, so many great times, and I traveled back in time to a funny memory involving both my brothers and myself. One of my favourite moments (although it wasn’t much fun at the time...)

Rewind to a long, long, long, long time ago...I must have been about 7 or 8 at the time...a long time ago...

I woke up one school morning and headed to the breakfast table where a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice was waiting for me. My two brothers were already there when I sat down, and they were snickering and snorting and watching me intensely with an amused look.

Squinting my eyes in suspicion, I asked them what was so funny. They wouldn’t tell me. They just continued to laugh. And steal glances at my cereal bowl. Wait... Steal glances at my cereal bowl? I looked down and...AHHH...there...AHHH...smack in the middle of my Rice Krispies...floating in the milk...AHHH...was a bug. A silverfish, to be precise.



I squealed in horror and my brothers roared with laughter. They were so clearly amused by all this that I often wonder if they were waiting for me to eat the darn thing before saying anything. Just a friendly little childhood prank on their little sister, right?

And now that I think about it, I wonder whether my irrational phobia of bugs began right then and there. It’s possible it did. Ah, siblings...

(I bet you’ll never look at Rice Krispies the same way again.)

12 comments:

  1. Did the silverfish snap, crackle or pop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I didn't play that many pranks on my sister. I was less the prank type and more the "pass gas in front of her face and run away" type. Charming, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...yes, very charming! Boys will be boys...

      Delete
  3. How gross! Brothers!! This post sent shivers up my spine - I would have probably screamed at the top of my lungs and threw the bowl at them :) I wouldn't be surprised if this was when your fears began, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt that this is where my fears may have begun. The thing is, my brothers said that they did not put the bug there. It was just in my cereal, and they thought it was funny. So, I'm not sure if they did or didn't. Hmmmm...

      Delete
  4. Naughty boys! When my parents went out they used to leave my older brother in charge of us. he used to lock us in a room with his ferrets ( at one stage there were 26 of them)and the smell was something else! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! 26 of them? That is a lot of ferrets. My daughter has two, and that's more than enough.

      Delete
  5. Eek! I had two brothers but I was the oldest and therefore the biggest for a long time so I never got the cereal bug. I have to hand it ot them, that is the grossest prank I think I've ever heard! I'd be off the Rice crispies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said they didn't do it, Francie, so I don't know what really happened. Did the bug sneak into the cereal box and then end up in my bowl. I'll never know. I'm still queasy with Rice Krispies, so many years later...

      Delete
  6. Oh THOSE memories!!! Funny! And you are such a avid gardener Martha....how do you ignore the 'bugs'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outdoors they don't bother me. There's so much room to run away :)

      Delete