Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Final Photography Class

So I had my final photography class last Thursday, and I came home rather saddened by the fact that it was over. I could easily have attended a few more classes; that’s how interesting and informative this course was. It was worth every penny. In fact, I am so pleased with it that I plan on taking another one in the fall.



On our final class, after our teacher got through the lesson of the day, we looked at some of the photos we’d each taken from our field trip. We’d been asked to bring in 20 – 25 images on a memory stick, and to include whatever other images we wanted to share.



Most of my images were from the field trip, but I also added a few from our outing at the Kingston harbour. I’m always a little reluctant about sharing my work because I’m not completely comfortable yet with my camera, although I’m further along than I was before this course.



We looked at the images each of us had taken and commented on what we could have done differently, or how we could improve upon our work. What we learned at that point, basically, is the rules of composition, such as the rule of thirds, lines, framing, balance and avoiding mergers, which I hope to write about in more detail in the future – when I’m very comfortable with all this newfound knowledge. And I know what I’m talking about.



I must say that this final class was more enlightening than I expected. I understand more clearly how to take better photographs and what I should be working on to improve. I understand why it’s important to pay attention to small, distracting details trying to make their way into your picture. And I see what skills I should focus on building.



All in all, I had a great time, and I look forward to learning more and more about this wonderful hobby of mine. I’m more eager than ever to get out there and take pictures. So...



...I took the plunge and became a member of Kingston Photography, and I go on my first group photoshoot on July 07 where a few of us will meet at an abandoned motel. I’m really looking forward to this because one of my favourite photography themes is urban decay. I will share some photos of this outing in the future.



So a lot of wonderful things have come out of this single course, and I am very glad that I took the initial step to sign up. It’s been quite an interesting experience so far.

18 comments:

  1. I can really see how these classes have benefitted your photography -- glad to hear you're going to continue with them in the fall. And joining a photography group! Good for you. Your daughter must be so pleased, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very pleased...LOL... Perhaps my family will now stop the 'introvert' intervention...haha...

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love the details you picked up in Mr. Frog's eyes :) I can definitely tell that this course has improved your photography ten-fold. Your pics have gone from good to great. You've obviously paid very close attention and put each new teaching into practice. We can always improve in everything we do. It's so great that you've joined a photography group as well - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane, but I have so far to go, still. But I welcome it. I'm learning as I go along, and it's a lot more fun now since I understand what my camera can do. We sure can improve on everything to do, as long as we keep an open mind.

      Delete
  3. Well good for you! This should be a most interesting fall for the rest of us, however I look forward to admiring your summer work first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get some photos in this summer. I could use the practice, and I'd like to learn some fun skills. I live in a very beautiful area, so it's just a matter of getting out there and snapping pictures!

      Delete
  4. I'm delighted that you've enjoyed the course so much that you're going back in the fall. AND you've joined the photography group as well! Your photography skills are already showing the benefits of what you've learned - they seem to have an extra dimension to them. I'll be glad to pick up any tips you care to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be pleased so share tips as I get more familiar with them. The things our teacher taught turned out to be a lot easier to learn than I'd expected. Some ridiculously so! As time goes on, I will add some photography posts.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how wonderful, Martha! I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed your class so much and that you're joining a photography club. And I'm so glad you'll be sharing some of what you learn with us...I could use some help with my photography. I look forward to seeing your urban decay photos. They'll be quite a contrast to the nature shots. :-)

    I love the one of the starling...he looks so intense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I love your photos! I don't know whether or not you ever took classes, but you sure do have an eye for it. I hope it's not raining next Saturday because I'm so looking forward to some urban decay shots. If it is a bad day, I'll just have to go at another time. It's not too far from home.

      Delete
  6. Nice shots -- especially the frog! That must have been hard to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the frog was very easy. He just sat there; never moved an inch; he was the perfect model!

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you are going back in the fall. I love the second one... Is it a sun flower? I can't wait to see the urban decay photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second shot is the start of a gaillardia flower. When it first develops, it looks like a sunflower.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you are expanding your knowledge and skills in photography. As the others have mentioned, I also can see where your skills have improved over the few weeks that you took this course. Enjoy practising your newfound skills with the photography club. You probably will find that you will learn from the others in the club. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing everything as you progress. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think learning from the others is the most exciting part of this group, and one of the major motivations to join. There are beginners, but there are also people who are much more advanced. I can learn some great things from them.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the class completion. I can see a difference in the pictures already.

    ReplyDelete