Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Glimpse Of Kingston, Ontario

I typically take you on a garden tour on Sundays, but today we’ll be heading over to the downtown area of my beautiful city. We’ll be concentrating mainly on the waterfront area this time around. Hopefully, sometime in the near future, I will have more photos to share of the restaurants, shops and street life. There are a lot of photos in today’s post, so I will try to keep the text minimal. Try.

The focal point of downtown Kingston is its picturesque harbour where you see friendly momma and poppa ducks...





...and their large (holy cow -- that’s a huge family!) brood of children.




The ducks are so used to people that they’ll take food right out of your hand.




These boys were really enjoying feeding the ducks. Do you see the bread in one boy’s hand?




Not wanting to miss the opportunity at free grub, you’ll find just as many geese as you do ducks hanging around.




They don’t have as many babies.




But their kids are just as cute.




Kingston is surrounded by water and Kingstonians take full advantage of it.










There are watercrafts everywhere.





This Martello tower, called Shaol Tower, is a small defensive fort that was built in 1847, and was occupied by soldiers until 1870. 16 of these towers were built in Canada but only 11 of them are still standing. Four of them are located in Kingston.




What would a waterfront be without seagulls?








Seagulls hanging around lots of other seagulls...




...and even hanging around pigeons. Although, these two look pretty annoyed with each other, don’t you think?




This pigeon prefers to be alone. Perhaps it’s introverted. [snort]




People love hanging around this area to relax, feed the ducks, take photos or just enjoy the view.




You can’t have all this water without a lighthouse.




Across from the harbour is the Royal Military College of Canada established in 1876. It is a blend of older, historic buildings and modern academic, athletic, and dormitory facilities, and is located on Point Frederick, a 41-hectare (101-acre) peninsula in Kingston, Ontario. I have visited the grounds and they are spectacular. On my next visit, I will take many photographs and share some with you.






Also across is the Fort Henry National Historic Site; a 19th century British military fortress that is open for tours. I will also share photos with you when I next visit it.




This Martello tower in Fort Henry is now a museum.



Directly across from the city of Kingston is beautiful Wolfe Island, which is located at the mouth of Lake Ontario, and the largest of the world-renowned Thousand Islands. It can be reached by ferry from both Canada and the United States. The ferry from Kingston (Wolfe Islander III) is operated by the Ministry of Transportation and is free of charge.

Oh, look, here it comes now...






As we head back to our car, here is a glimpse of the back of city hall where you’ll find one of the most important outdoor public spaces in Kingston: Springer Market Square. It hosts – among many other things – a Farmer’s Market every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from May to September.




And a snapshot of its pretty clock tower.




And finally, my favourite encounter of the day...beautiful horses.




I don’t know what it is about them, but I adore horses. They are such majestic animals.






And that concludes our tour for today of one of my favourite places to hang out in my lovely city. Kingston is a stunning city and I will share more of it with you as my camera and I take pictures around town.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour Martha. I've been to Kingston but I think it really takes a hometown person to show the beuty of a place. I certainly didn't know about the harbour which I will certainly investigate when I am there again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice place to drop by and relax at. Next time you're here, make it a point of going there. And we can meet for coffee!

      Delete
  2. You are a lucky gal to live in such a beautiful place, Martha.It looks very picturesque, with so many things going on. I love the noise of horses as they clip-clop along. I live on a tiny dull little island where nothing of note ever happens, so I'm jealous! Meow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kingston is a small city, but a very active and beautiful one. I am so happy that we moved here. I love it.

      Delete
  3. You know, I've never been to Kingston. But your photos make me want to visit! Loaded with lovely architecture, lots of history, and charming spots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very old city, so you are right, there is a lot of great architecture and oodles of interesting history. You must visit at some point! And I will be so happy to meet you!

      Delete
  4. How beautiful and serene. I remember those ducks can be pretty friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so used to people that they're no longer afraid. And they like the food :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh!!! How I love Kingston and you've captured it so perfectly :) I've been to Wolfe Island a few times and just love it. That duck with the green neck and that last horse pic are my favourites shots - but they're all great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Wolfe Island last summer and I really liked it. I'd like to go again because we didn't spend much time there. There is so much around us that I'd like to see in time. I loved the way that horse was looking at me. So sweet.

      Delete
  6. Martha, these are beautiful!! I find it almost embarrassing to say I have never been to Canada. My husband even has family there. My neighbors are from Canada. Now, I really, really have to visit :-) beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like Canada; there are so many beautiful places to visit. I really don't like the cold winters, but I guess we can't always have everything the way we want it.

      Delete
  7. Dear Martha,
    THAT'S IT!! I am moving to Kingston!
    Kay from Kingston...has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on up, Kay! There is a house selling right next door. We can be neighbours!

      Delete
    2. You are tempting me so much! If it is under 80 degrees where you are, I am very interested!!!

      Delete
    3. Ha ha ha...well, come on down then! Although I'd wait a few days. We're in a heat wave right now!

      Delete
  8. Martha, thanks for this! It was an extensive and interesting tour of Kingston. We were there many years ago and I truthfully didn't remember anything till your post jogged my memory a bit.
    So that is where other Martello Towers are! We have one here in Halifax. Interesting structures.
    I loved that photo of the Canada Geese with their two babies. I can see someone is having a ball with their new camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is where other Martello Towers are. They are very interesting structures. And yes, 'someone' is having fun with the new camera!

      Delete
  9. A very interesting tour, Martha, and a lovely city. How do you feel about those wind turbines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're great. There are so many of them around town.

      Delete