Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Green Space Behind Our Home

One of the things that attracted me to Kingston the most when we considered moving here is the abundance of green space around the city. There is plenty of parkland and large green spaces dotting the area, making Kingston a very beautiful place. And I needn’t go far to enjoy some of that eye candy because there is such a space right behind our home. Let me show you...

In between some houses on the street where I live, there is a trail.



And that trail connects with another trail...



...that leads to the area behind the houses where you will find this:



This pond may not be very big, but it’s quite lovely. Quite often, you’ll find ducks and geese hanging around. Even a heron occasionally drops by.

You can sit on the bench and take a load off...



...or if you’d like a closer look, you can stand in front of the pond between two lovely trees...



...and enjoy the view.





The pond is on the northern side of this space, but this area extends quite far southward. Let’s take a look at that side.

But before we go, this space, which is west of the pond, has a building sitting on it. Can anyone guess what it might be? (I’ll reveal the answer later in our tour.)



So, as we turn towards the south side, you will notice a large area of open green space. A lot of people bring their dogs here to walk and exercise them.





If you continue walking south, you will notice a pathway between the trees. Where does it lead? Let’s find out.



It takes you to...



...another large, beautiful green space.



This is a nice place to walk and enjoy the tranquility of your surroundings. You are surrounded by greenery and the sights and sounds of birds and other small animals.









Along the way you may run across small surprises like this one:





It took the snapping of a few photos to figure out that the bird inside is a fake!



But you’ll see plenty of real ones. (I have no idea what this bird is. Anyone?)



Now that you’ve seen this green space let’s head back north past the pond...



...along this trail. Can you guess what’s up ahead?



How about now with the car in the image?



If you guessed a mall, you’re right!



Five minutes walking distance from my home is Kingston’s largest shopping mall: Cataraqui Centre.



Did you guess what that building was way back in the tour? Here’s the answer:



There are five library branches located in the city of Kingston, and we are fortunate enough to have one of them within walking distance of our home, right across from the Cataraqui centre, and situated on the green space.

That concludes our tour. So let’s head on back to my home on this path behind the library.



You are all welcome to come in for coffee or tea, and some cookies.

And if you stop by tomorrow, I will have an interesting story relating to this place:


18 comments:

  1. 5 minutes walk to the mall and the library? Along a beautiful green-space walkway? You lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are very fortunate. It took months to find a home here, but it worked out well.

      Delete
  2. You certainly are in a perfect spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are. We got so lucky. For months we drove down to Kingston from Montreal. I think we saw about 17 or 18 houses before we finally ended up here. It was a lot of work, but well worth it in the end.

      Delete
  3. I was right! I guessed it was a library. You are unbelievably lucky to have both a library and a Mall on your doorstep - that is Heaven to me! I'd love a little beauty spot like that in which to walk my pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you smart kitty, you! You guessed right :) You would love that spot for walking your dog. I see people all the time there exercising their dogs. Just perfect for it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tour And I'm sure it is also quite lovely in the fall. The bird looked like a dove to me but for sure I can tell you it wasn't a crow! (Are I a good bird identifier??) Love the general store bird house too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very pretty in the fall. I hope to snap some photos this year back there when the leaves start changing colours.

      Delete
  5. All that green space is fantastic. That is one of the reasons I hate living where I do. In every directions there is another house right there next to mine. No room to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it was like for us when we lived in Montreal, which is a big city. This is a much smaller area, so there's room for lots of greenery.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your walk, Martha! We love to walk along through that area especially at dusk when there is very little traffic at the mall and less foot traffic as well. I dug out my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds and I think your mystery bird may be a Brewer's Blackbird. Thanks for a lovely visit along the trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very nice area to walk through during that time. I also enjoy the early morning hours when the birds and all the other critters are waking up. You might be right about the bird. It looks like the female of the group. Well, whatever it was, it was nice to spot on this walk.

      Delete
  7. Why am I not a Follow here? Well that's about to change. I'm following now. Give me time to catch up. My Google Reader has a habit of delaying new sites. But really, I'll be back!
    Your New Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, you actually had time to stop by...what with all that craziness going on at your place with the move and all those kids... I'm happy to see you here. You are always welcome to stop by. Sneak out while no one is looking :)

      Delete
  8. Kay from Kingston...sounding better and better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...yes, it sure does! Plenty of room for you here in our lovely city!

      Delete
  9. I love your pictures and stories! What a beautiful green area. You are very lucky. I live in Phoenix, AZ where we have "brown areas!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. We are lucky to live in such a pretty place. But I don't think you'd like it as much in the winter when it's cold and there are no signs of green life! Arizona is one place I'd love to visit at some point. It's on my travel wish list!

      Delete