Friday, June 1, 2012

Missing The Rabbit, And Pride In My Kids

It’s raining today, which is great since it’s been very dry and the garden is dying (literally) for a deep drenching...although it’s only drizzling, so it’s not exactly what I’d hoped for. But still. Some rain is certainly better than no rain.

In any case, I’m grounded indoors with 25 loads of laundry...or thereabouts. That’s what you get when you hang around the garden all day long and neglect the indoor chores. It’s a price I’m willing to pay, though, regardless.

So, once in awhile I press my nose up against the kitchen window and look outside. And whimper. Because I’d rather be out there. And who do I spot in the garden during these feeling-sorry-for-myself moments but this little cutie:


I ran to get my camera and snapped a photo through the window. It’s rather poor in quality, but the visit from this little bunny made me so happy this morning that I had to capture the moment and share last night’s heart-palpating incident with you.

Thursday night, my younger daughter takes guitar lessons. It only lasts for 30 minutes, so during that time I drive across the street to WalMart and just stroll around the store. This time of year, I hang around the garden section and occasionally pick something up. I don’t have much self-control in gardening sections, so I cave in easily when I see something I like.

Anyway, my older daughter who lives and studies in Montreal and who is staying with us for the summer was there with me. And after the young daughter’s lesson was done, we went to pick her up to go for ice cream, which is something we do every Thursday after the guitar stuff. It’s our girls’ time together.

After that, we headed home, all happy and full of empty but yummy calories. And when we turned onto our street and were just a few houses away from ours a small rabbit darted in front of my car. In what seemed like eternity but only lasted a few seconds, it was sheer pandemonium.

Yelling...shrieking...

“Oh my god…”

“...a rabbit!

“Mooooom...”

“...stop the car...stop the car!”


I slammed on the brakes.

“Did you hit him?”

“Oh my god...I think you hit him!”

“Oh no...”


I pulled over. My daughter looked out the rear window. Nothing. No rabbit in sight. So we slowly drove to our home and pulled into the driveway, all the while wondering if something horrible was waiting for us under the car. As soon as I turned off the engine, my younger daughter jumped out and started searching all around beneath the car. Nothing.

Big sighs of relief all around.

“Oh thank god...”

“Yeah, what a relief...”


At that point, a teen boy (friend of my daughter’s) who had been walking down the sidewalk and happened to be at that precise almost-hitting-the-rabbit location had reached our home and said to my daughter “You didn’t hit home. He got away.”

Even bigger sighs of relief all around now that it was official that we hadn’t hit the rabbit.

A couple of things struck me last night:

1) I’ve been driving for over 25 years, and in all that time, I’ve never hit an animal. Last night was a shocking revelation of how devastated I will be if I ever do.

2) I am reminded once more of how sensitive my kids are towards all living creatures, and that harming one, even unintentionally, upsets them. I am proud that they have grown to love and care about animals as much as I do.

So the photo above may be poor quality, but I like to think that the little bunny in it is the one from last night passing through to let me know that he’s okay, and all is well with the world.

10 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way, Martha. A few years ago, I accidentally hit a squirrel. I felt terrible and when I got home and told my husband I burst into tears. My children also revere all forms of life and this is through watching our examples. My husband once stopped (too many years ago) for a turtle. He pulled over to the side of the road, got out and helped it across the road. Once he got back in the car, I commented "I hope that was the side of the road he wanted to be on". :) Thanks for a beautiful post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kids definitely learn from us. If we show kindness, they will show the same. That squirrel incident must have been terrible . I know I would have been just as shook up. I hate the thought of some animal being hurt by me, even if I didn't mean for it to happen. And that story wtih your hubby is beautiful and funny! How sweet of him to help such a small creature get to safety. I do hope he put him on the side of the road he wanted to be on! That final statement was hilarious!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the rabbit was faster than your car!

    P.S. I'm going to post about the Funkalicious Blog Award on Monday (i.e. brag).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he/she was, too! It's your award, so brag away all you like! You certainly deserve it.

      Delete
  3. I totally get you - I've never (that I know of) hit an animal with my car and I know I'd be devastated if it ever happened. I'd probably sit on the side of the road and bawl! How lovely that your daughter is home for the summer - enjoy yourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd do the same thing, too...sit and bawl. LOL... And I think my kids would have joined me. Yes, my older daughter is here for the summer and we're glad she is. It's nice to have her around daily again.

      Delete
  4. That is one cute bunny. A few years ago a dog broke away from it's owners and ran in front of our car. My husband did his best to brake hard and swerve, but we still hit it a tiny bump. He was fine - but I wasn't. I was in tears, thinking we'd killed the poor thing! Glad your bunny hopped to safety. I'm not one bit surprised that your daughters are so caring - look who they have for a mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...that is sweet! Thank you, kitten. I'm happy that my girls are growing up to be so sensitive.

      That incident with the dog would have shaken me up, too. I'm not surprised you were upset even after you knew the dog was okay. Sometimes just the thought of what might have happened is stressful enough.

      Delete
  5. Whew! It is an awful feeling when I have hit animals on the highway! Sometimes it is impossible to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right; sometimes it's impossible to stop. I've been fortunate so far. I hope I'm fortunate for a long time to come.

      Delete