Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Photoshoot

So we met for our photoshoot on Saturday morning at the Cataraqui Cemetery; one of Canada's most beautiful and historic cemeteries. It is a wonderful place to put your camera skills to use, and we were fortunate enough to have an overcast morning; the perfect type of day for taking pictures.

(Note: Click on the images for a slightly larger view)





We were scheduled to be there for 2 ½ hours. The teacher left on time but we (the students) ended up staying another 30 minutes. In all that time, we barely covered much of the cemetery’s grounds. There is so much to see, and so many things you want to photograph that time passes quickly. I do intend to return another day to see more of the grounds --- and take more photos.





The main purpose of this photoshoot was to put into practice some of the things we’ve learned and get comfortable with our camera settings. The advantage of that morning was that our teacher was with us, so he was readily available to answer questions and help clarify anything that might have been confusing.





Our photoshoot focused on the three pillars of photography: aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Aperture is the feature that I spent most of my time playing with. Simply put, it is the size of the opening in your lens when you take a picture. The larger the hole, the more light will get in. Aperture either adds dimension to a photograph by blurring the background...





...or it brings everything in focus.





I had a great time with my classmates. Sherrill is a beginner with a DSLR camera just like I am. And she’s just as eager to learn how to master it.





Dave is a little more advanced. He’s had his camera for 2 years and has really put it to use. He’s quite comfortable with a lot of its features, and the course was a way to clarify some technical aspects of it.





Our teacher is a professional photographer as well as a professor. I have thoroughly enjoyed this class and hope to be able to attend more of his private courses in the near future. For anyone in the Kingston area interested in signing up for photography lessons, here is a link to the classes he offers: Sugarman Design (Imaging School)





In the cemetery, there is also a pretty pond that we spent a little time at. A lot of little critters hang around there, including frogs. Look at this little cutie.



“My what big eyes you have...”



I took a lot of photos in this area, and I am eager to return for more.





Dave has also invited us to become members of the Kingston Photographers group; it is open to photographers of all levels, from beginner to professional. And they meet on different dates at different places for photoshoots. I’m seriously considering joining this. It is a great way to meet people who are as passionate about photography as I am, and a great way to learn more about it.





Towards the end of the photoshoot, Sherrill, Dave and I exchanged emails, and also hooked up with each other on Facebook over the weekend. This will give us an opportunity to keep in touch, share photos and perhaps go on other photoshoots together. (Look at me being all social and stuff.)





All in all, it was an amazing day. I am so glad I signed up for this course; it’s really paying off in more ways than one.





My last class is this Thursday, which I will write about at some point. I also plan to write a little more about what I learned during this period.





And here I am, looking like a photographer who knows what she’s doing. This photo was taken by Sherrill. She posted it on my Facebook page.


14 comments:

  1. Hey great portrait Martha! I love cemeteries and now that I know it is there I'd like to see that one the next time I head down the highway towards Kingston. Interesting to see your work from a completely different location. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See how professional I look, Francie? Like I know what I'm doing. LOL... It is a beautiful cemetery, so if you're ever down here, try and visit it. It's really worth it. And make sure you let me know if you're in town, so we can get together for coffee!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic class by the sounds of it. Cemeteries are a perfect spot, so many photo ops in them (who knows what or who you might see when you upload your pics...hehe) Great shots - that second one of Mr. Frog in particular! Yes, look at you getting all social - sometimes an introvert has just got to get out there... or they'd never leave the house, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, it was great! The cemetery turned out to be perfect for our photoshoot. We do have our social moments, don't we, us introverts? Then we burn ourselves out and retreat for weeks...LOL...

      Delete
  3. Great shots! You can already see the difference the class has made in your photography. I like the sharp foreground, blurred background look -- very professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those types of shots, too; my favourites!

      Delete
  4. I'm sure your daughter is pleased with all your social interaction. Love the photos, especially the frog and the fence. I must check into something similar in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is, Crafty. Maybe now she'll stop worrying about me! You should check into something like this. I think you'lll really enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I'm really glad that you had such a great time with this class Martha. I think your photographs are fab, and now I even know what an aperture does! I love that little frog as well. So yeah - you're getting to be a social butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aperture is the one thing that I wasn't quite sure about. This class has really helped me to understand that. As for the social part, I'm due for some reclusiveness; I'm exhausted...LOL...

      Delete
  6. Wow, it sounds like a great time! The weather looks perfect as well. Toad and angel statue are by far my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toad and the angel are my favourites, too! We had a great time.

      Delete
  7. I really liked the blurring effect. I can see that you are progressing in your photography skills already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a terrific course and I've learned a lot of things; it was well worth going to.

      Delete