Friday, June 29, 2012

A Special Trip To PetSmart

So I ended yesterday’s post with this image...



...and told you if you stop by tomorrow, I will have an interesting story relating to this place. And oh, you must have been dying of suspense, weren’t ya? Well fret no more; today is the tomorrow I mentioned yesterday (still with me?), so here’s the scoop.

Let’s start at the beginning...

On Tuesday, June 26th, my older daughter celebrated her 20th birthday. YAY!



She doesn’t live with us in Kingston; she lives in Montreal and is a student at McGill University. She came down in the beginning of May right after she finished school and was planning to stay until the end of August, right before school started up again. But since she hasn’t been able to find a job here, she decided to go back earlier, move into her new apartment that she will be sharing with a roommate and work for the rest of the summer, and then part-time when she returns to university.

This will be my daughter's first apartment, which is very exciting for her, and slightly unnerving for me. On one end I’m very proud of her for wanting to make it on her own, and on the other I worry. I'm a mom; it's my job to worry.

Anyway, for her 20th birthday I decided to send her back home with a friend, so the day after her birthday, we went to PetSmart (one of the satellite adoption centres of the Kingston Humane Society) where my daughter walked down one of the store’s aisles...



...to get to this section...



...to pick up this furry girl.



This is Lori, a beautiful 3 ½ year old female cat that my daughter had instantly fallen in love with when we were at this store a few days prior to this day. Lori's been at the humane society since January of this year, which is quite heartbreaking. No domesticated animal should be caged and isolated like this for that long.



So we went to get her and bring her home with us. She’ll stay at my place for a couple of weeks and then she’ll drive to Montreal with my daughter.

Here is my daughter signing the adoption papers. My daughter was a little embarrassed by my photo snapping. She may as well get used to it. I think I’m going to become one of those people that photographs everything.



Lori is wondering what’s going on as we finalize her adoption.



She was very quiet throughout the whole ordeal. She’s such a sweetie.



We were very excited about taking her home. But our cats didn’t share the sentiment. Nacho, quite the alpha cat, is made aware of Lori’s arrival.



She immediately goes over to investigate.



She doesn’t like it. Not one bit.



Mocha, shy, fearful and passive, doesn’t want to know; doesn’t want to get involved. She runs away and goes into hiding.



Lori on the other hand, gets very comfortable, very fast.



Nacho (the black cat) is very aggressive towards her for the next 24 hours, but Lori doesn’t care. She ignores her and doesn’t retaliate.

(By now as I write this post, things are much, much better at home. They’re all tolerating each other.)



My daughter changed Lori’s name to Dany (Daeny), which is short for Daenerys; a strong-willed and intelligent character in the TV series ‘Game of Thrones’. I don’t haven’t the foggiest who Dany is since I don’t watch the show, but from what I’ve been able to gather on the internet, it seems like a good fit.



Dany is a people lover. She is very social, calm, affectionate and sweet-natured. She follows us around like a puppy and enjoys being near someone. She will be a very good companion to my daughter.



Yesterday morning, I woke up to find this sweet little kitty waiting for me outside my bedroom, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, clearly excited to see me. Within less than 24 hours, I was in love with this precious cat. I will miss her terribly when she leaves.



Let’s celebrate this adoption with some chocolate fudge cake. Here, I saved a piece just for you!



It’s also a great comfort food for the upcoming broken heart I’ll have when Dany and my daughter go away.

14 comments:

  1. how wonderful and i know Daenerys..big fan of the books and the TV show :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my daughters are fans of this. I'm oblivious to the books and the TV show!

      Delete
  2. Way to go Dany! You got a home AND a lot of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's a very happy girl! And she's getting lots of love from all of us.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful cat! (All your cats are, by the way.) I'm glad Dany has found her "forever home." Tell your daughter she must be a star because she has her own paparazzi following her around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very precious. Every day that goes by, I'm more and more in love with her. She's got such a wonderful temperament.

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhhhhh she is lovely!!! How wonderful that you and your daughter are giving her a real chance at a happy life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could give a chance to all of them! I hate seeing them in those cages on display. How sad that many of them are without homes.

      Delete
  5. Dany is gorgeous! I'm with you - how sad is it to think an animal has been isolated and in a cage for six months... heartbreaking. Happy belated birthday to your daughter and she will be fine mom (but I know where you're coming from :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is heartbreaking to see them like that. Dany was in a foster home for awhile because she had kittens to give birth to and nurse, but then she was back at the humane society. At least now she's finally in a permanent home. My daughter adores her.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant birthday present. She is a beautiful cat, and seems to have a really sweet temperament, so she will be great company for your daughter. Ah, you'll miss them both - I'm sure you'll take plenty of great photos before they go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter had mentioned at some point that she'll be getting a cat when she moves into her apartment, so I decided to gift one to her. They'll be good company for each other. Yes, I will miss them both, but I'll see them again!

      Delete
  7. Dear Martha,
    What a sweet, sweet kitty! Cat's faces are so expressive and at first, her face looks as if she might be in for more disappointment in life, but by the end, you can see she knows she is in good hands! Hope you will let us see more photos of that face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's already figured out that she's hit the jackpot with us! If I was a cat, I'd want to be in this house, too...haha!

      Delete