Sunday, June 3, 2012

Strolling Through The Garden

Oh, hey, you’re here? Welcome. How about some lemonade? Or iced tea? Perhaps you’d prefer some coffee? I’ve even laid out a plate of homemade white chocolate chip cookies. But before we kick back and enjoy the goodies, and the sights and sounds of the backyard, I need to take a stroll around the garden to see what’s going on. Would you like to join me? Cool. Let’s go...


The hostas are growing rapidly. This one is Hosta undulata 'Albom-Marginata’.



And this one is Hosta 'Fire and Ice'; one of my absolute favourites.



I decided to give English Primrose a try. This one is Primula 'Crescendo'. It makes the most beautiful red blooms. The camera doesn’t quite capture just how lovely they are but I think you get the idea.



These beautiful yellow irises were given to me by my next door neighbour. Aren’t they lovely? I’m not sure what kind they are, so if you know, maybe you can share that info with me. Maybe Jim will stop by and offer some thoughts on it; he seems to know his plants. Jim, are you around?





I know what this one is. It’s Iris pallida ‘Aureo Variegata’ (Gold-variegated Sweet Iris). This is the first year it’s bloomed for me, so you can imagine how proud I am. And can understand why I need to share photos of these blooms again and again.





Clematis Niobe is still going strong. She is filling up her trellis and putting on quite a spectacular show. I can’t get enough of her.




My garden just wouldn’t be complete without Asters. I adore these plants with their gorgeous daisy-like flowers. This one is Aster alpinus 'Goliath'. The name seems a little odd for a plant that doesn’t grow much taller than about 12 inches.




This one is Aster alpinus 'Happy End'. Isn’t it a fitting name for flowers that put a smile on your face?




The pride of my garden, Morden Sunrise, has exploded with blooms. These lovely roses will be gracing my garden all season long. I can’t say enough about his gorgeous rose bush. If you are planning on adding roses to your garden, consider this one. You won’t regret it.






This is Weigela 'French Lace'. It fills up with pretty little blooms, but even without them, it’s a gorgeous addition with its variegated foliage.




Aquilegia vulgaris 'Mellow Yellow', one of my most beloved columbines, is wrapping up its flowering period. I just had to share another image of it; it’s just so darn pretty.



Anemone sylvestris is still looking wonderful with its delicate white flowers. Such a joy to look at.



I adore this columbine, Aquilegia 'McKana Hybrids'. How can I not? Look at the flowers it produces. Aren't they amazing?



I’m not sure what the story is behind this little broken egg, but I hope it’s a happy one. I’d hate to think otherwise.



And that’s it for the garden stroll. Now, how about those treats I promised?

10 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely blooms in your garden. This time of the year is always so lovely for gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe this is the best time of year for the garden. So many wonderful flowers out there.

      Delete
  2. We had yellow irises in our flower beds when I was a kid -- they always evoke childhood memories for me! I don't know what their scientific name is, but on the prairies they were always colloquially called "flags."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that..."flags". Now I'll think of the prairies whenever I hear that name.

      Delete
  3. Lemonade and a homemkade cookie please. I might even take two cookies becasue it will take me that long to admire the Modern sunrise rosebush. I love roses and never had much luck with them. Luckily for all rose bushes I no longer have a place in which to plant them. But I can still admire yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on in, Francie, and help yourself to as many cookies as you'd like! Modren Sunrise is the most amazing plant. My attempt at roses only started when we moved into this house three years ago. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm growing a ton of them anyway :)

      Delete
  4. I'm just here for the treats, lol!! Your garden is looking amazing - you guys are really 'into' summer at this point. I'm with you on the columbines - they are are so pretty :) And the Morden Sunrise - I planted 4 rose bushes last year that are coming along great so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...treat yourself to some treats, Jane, and don't be shy! Yes, we are quite along here, and the plants are exploding with growth and blooms. I have quite a few roses in the garden and most of them are doing okay despite the fact that I'm very new at them. And as for columbines, I am soooo in love with them. The flowers are amazing.

      Delete
  5. Martha they are exquisite. I particularly love the English Primrose. I wish I had a green thumb, but I am a well known plant serial killer... I even manage to kill a cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't feel too bad. Despite what you've heard, a cactus is not that easy to grow. Just a little too much water and BOOM they're goners!

      Delete