Sunday, June 10, 2012

Time For Another Garden Stroll

Another week, another explosion of blooms in the garden. It’s absolutely crazy out there. Colourful. Gorgeous. Soul satisfying. And to top it all off, not even half the plants are in bloom yet, so there are many more flowers on the way. No complaints from me.

I’m just heading out to take a stroll through the garden and check on my plants. Why don’t you join me?


Our first stop is at the lovely Weigela 'French Lace'. Within one week, it has exploded with rudy-red flowers. From a distance, it actually looks like the plant is on fire. It’s an amazing sight.






These gorgeous light pink blooms belong to Digitalis purpurea 'Apricot Beauty'





What’s particularly special about this plant is that it’s growing in a container throughout the entire year, including winter. Impressive.




Syringa meyeri 'Palibin', my tiny little lilac tree, is wrapping up its flowering period for this year, so I had to show it off one last time.




Chrysogonum virginianum produces small star-shaped bright yellow flowers. I just recently planted it, so it hasn’t reached its full potential yet. It still managed to bloom in a short period of time, though. Maybe it’s just its way of saying “thank you for taking me home with you.”




Lamium maculatum ‘Anne Greenaway’ is a beautiful foliage plant that also shows off clusters of mauve-pink flowers on and off from spring until autumn. Gorgeous.






An easy to grow and outstanding perennial, Penstemon digitalis ‘Husker Red’, produces upright stems of small, pale-pink tubular flowers. The foliage on the plant is also very attractive; they’re slightly greener in the summer, but during the spring and fall, the leaves are a stunning beet-red.






These golden-yellow flowers belong to the lovely and very popular Trollius chinensis ‘Golden Queen’.






Asclepias tuberose, a native North American wildflower, is the primary source of food for the both the adult and juvenile Monarch Butterfly, and that is one reason that I included it in my garden. The other reason is that the plant’s clusters of orange-gold flowers are very attractive.






These are obviously not flowers, but I had to include them. Looks like we’ll be seeing some blueberries soon! Yum yum...






I have an assortment of miniature roses that are just going into bloom. They may be small in size but the flowers on these plants are spectacular.






Polemonium boreale ‘Heavenly Habit’ has ferny green leaves and bears loads of violet-blue, flowers.






These stunning purple-pink blooms belong to Rhododendron "P.J.M. Compact". We moved the plant this spring to a new location and I was concerned that the abrupt change of location would discourage it from flowering. Thankfully, it didn’t, and the garden is graced with the stunning flowers once again.






We end this garden tour with one of my favourite perennials: Sedum kamtschaticum ‘Variegatum’. The combination of variegated foliage and clusters of orange-yellow star flowers is simply astounding.






Thank you for joining me on another garden stroll. I wish you all a fabulous Sunday.

12 comments:

  1. So many pretty blooms. The foxglove is wonderful, I just never have luck with them. Yummy blueberries, or bluebobbies as my 2 year old granddaughter calls them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the fist year that the foxglove has done so well for me, so you can imagine how happy I am about that. Bluebobbies! That is so sweet. 2-year-olds are so adorable.

      Delete
  2. Spectacular! I actually have a French Lace but it is looking a bit unloved. Part is my fault. I didn't know what it was and thoughtlessly replanted what I thought of as the twiggy thing. surprise! it tunrned out to have beutiful flowers! Now my question is, can I cut it back next spring to give it a less straggly appearance??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after it has started flowering. As soon as it begins to flower, prune. Remove dead and dying branches, and branches that cross paths with others, which will inhibit growth. Cut back unwanted branches down to the main branch, and don't cut back more than 1/3 of the overall size. Your plant will start to branch out and look much better. If you do this every spring, it will always look beautiful. I also tend to prune healthy branches to maintain a nice shape. I don't know if I should or shouldn't do this, but it seems to work out fine.

      Delete
  3. Your garden must be wall to wall flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew those were blueberries right away! We spent a lot of time in the bush (& blackflies) picking blueberries & raspberries as kids - apparently this was my parent's idea of 'entertainment', lol! Your flowers & pics are gorgeous - especially your miniature roses and Golden Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...love that part about your parents. At least we got a lot of fresh air when we were kids; always being outdoors and stuff. I love the miniature roses; they are so cute.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, Martha! I really love the Weigela 'French Lace.' I'm looking for something to replace an ailing rose bush, and I think that may be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love the Weigela. It may not look its best in the first year, depending on how big you get it, but it'll grow into a spectacular plant over time.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, your garden is bursting with color! It must be wonderful to have flowers all around you. And blueberries too! Mom and I were looking at blueberry bushes a couple of weeks ago. One day... Gorgeous photos. Hope you're doing well. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is wonderful to have flowers all around. I hope you do add blueberries to your garden one day; you will really enjoying growing them. I hope you are doing well, too!

      Delete