Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tune Time - Babe

Man, oh man, was this 1979 song by Styx ever a huge hit when I was in high school. It was played regularly at all the after-school dances, and the girls would melt when asked to slow dance to it by a boy.

"Babe" was the lead single from Styx's 1979 triple-platinum album Cornerstone. The song was Styx's first, and only, U.S. number-one single, reaching #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100. As well, it held the number-one spot for six weeks on the Canadian RPM national singles chart, charting in December 1979 and becoming the opening chart-topper of the 1980s. It was written by member Dennis DeYoung as a birthday present for his wife Suzanne. Aw, shucks...

Confession time: I thought ‘Babe’ was an okay song, but I didn’t think it was that great. I faked it.

There, I said it.


4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I remember this song too. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back memories - I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oodles of memories! I thought it was an okay song, but not fabulous like most people I knew thought it was. It just didn't really do it for me.

      Delete