Sunday, July 15, 2012

Around The Garden

Sunday already? Another week gone? The summer is whizzing right by and I don’t know how to stop it! We’re in mid July, folks. Does anyone know how we can rewind the clock and go back to the start of spring? Anyone?

No one.

Sigh.

Okay, well, we’ll just have to make the best of it, and enjoy the summer while we can.

Anyhow, I need to check up on my plants and see how they’re doing, so let’s take a garden stroll together and look around. I forget to mention coffee on last week’s stroll, and Beth, one of my favourite bloggers and an all-around wonderful person, inquired about it. I want you all to know that coffee – or tea or juice or whatever is your drink of choice in the morning – is always served after a garden stroll. No need for me to say it. It’s a given. Okay? Okay. So let’s go for a walk...


The daisies are wrapping up this year’s flowering display. Once again, it was spectacular. A garden is not complete without these plants.




Alcea rosea ‘Spotlight Mars Magic’, one of my favourite hollyhocks, is also done blooming. It was outstanding while it lasted. And the plant grew to over six feet tall!




I have quite a few coneflowers planted in my garden, and they are all starting to take off. Here are just a few images of the more ambitious plants. I’ve no doubt that I will take many more photos as the rest of the plants come to life.



The white coneflowers were planted in 2009, and were gifted to me by my friend Joy when we moved here in 2009. I met her through her blog while I still lived in Montreal and we met about a month after my move here. She is one of the nicest people I know, and one of the best gardeners in Kingston.



Agastache ‘Blue Fortune’ is filling up with lovely blooms that the cutest little visitors such as butterflies, bees and hummingbirds adore. This plant was also given to me by Joy.





What can I say about Rudbeckia maxima aside from how amazing its flowers are? Occasionally, I’ll see an American Goldfinch perched on top of one of the blooms. It’s the most adorable sight.





You can always depend on daylilies to add colour to your garden. This lovely flower belongs to Hemerocallis ‘Little Grapette’.



This pretty little thing, commonly known as a balloon flower, belongs to the perennial Platycodon grandiflorus ‘Fuji Blue’. Balloon flowers are cousins to the familiar Bellflowers.



I absolutely adore Rudbeckias and couldn’t imagine my garden without a few of them. This one is Rudbeckia hirta ‘Indian Summer’.



Rudbeckia ‘Toto Rustic’ is one of my prettiest flowering perennials.



Heliopsis helianthoides ‘Summer Nights’ is one of the easiest plants to grow and it produces some of the prettiest flowers.




Torchlily (Kniphofia ‘Flamenco’ mixture), also known as Red-hot-Poker, is very easy to grow provided the soil is well-draining. Once established, it is extremely drought-tolerant. It’s also very attractive to hummingbirds, and who doesn’t like that?



And finally, the most beautiful sight of the garden stroll: Dany, my daughter’s sweet calico cat (she spells the name as 'Daeny'), waving at me from the kitchen window. (Eeeek...look how dirty my windows are!)


Thank you for taking a stroll with me. Now, let’s get something to drink. And cookies, too, you ask? Of course. What would coffee or tea be without cookies?

16 comments:

  1. Dear Martha,
    What a beautiful JOY-filled garden!! Fantastic photos too. I have never seen redhot poker except in English gardens and it is spectacular in my garden of my inlaws! (I saw it in the background of the movie The Queen but it was not as nice as the one that my father-in-law has!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. It's been a tough time for the garden. Our weather has been mostly hot and dry, so the plants have been struggling.

      Delete
  2. Our hollyhocks are just now blooming -- I love them and so do the bees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such amazing plants. They put on quite a show!

      Delete
  3. Ahh...the coffee was especially good this morning, Martha. Thank you! Perhaps Kay and I should bring cookies next week? Not that yours weren't delicious, mind you...they were. :-)

    The stroll was delightful, as well. I love the detail on the agastache bee. The rudbeckia maxima are really unusual. I've never seen them before and love imagining the goldfinches swaying back and forth atop them. That's one of my favorite fall sights----the goldfinches eating my coneflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never say no to cookies, Beth! They are always welcome.

      It is so much fun watching the goldfinches swaying back and forth atop the flowers. I let these plants go to seed so these little birds can feed on them.

      Delete
  4. Hey, those windows can wait till fall!! You have more important things to do Martha! Like maintain this beautiful garden of yours! My favourite all-time 'older' flower has got to be the single Hollyhock. We haven't had any for a few years now....they just petered out. Time to get some seeds, I'd say.
    Dany is a sweetheart and misses you!! How could you go outside and leave her alone like that!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the windows can certainly wait till fall. Summer is too short for those tasks. Plus, I don't do windows...LOL...

      Dany is definitely a sweetheart. Such a gentle, loving cat.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed our Sunday morning stroll :) Everything looks fabulous - especially the Rudbeckia maxima - they are amazing - very showy. That Red-hot-Poker is very interesting - I'd like to add it to my garden - along the perimeter - how tall are the spikes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plant should grow about 2 1/2 - 3 feet tall, but I'm not sure exactly how big the spikes will eventually be. My plant was added this year (a tiny version of it), and the spikes right now are about 6 - 8 inches tall. I would guess they'll be much bigger when the plant is fully grown.

      Delete
  6. You have a wonderful variety of beautiful plants in your garden, Martha. There's always so much to enjoy on your garden strolls. And that little kitty is gorgeous, what a sweet little face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sulky. I'm so glad you could join all of us. I think I just like having coffee and cookies with all of you...LOL...

      Delete
  7. Martha, these are breathtaking, Can I paint them? As for the hurry of time passing, I don't know what's going on but time is running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can paint them, Ana! And please share your work when it's done. I would love to see it.

      Delete
  8. I grow " Maxima" too, and I love it. It is so truly yellow.
    In my big and bold arsenal, I also have the annual Tithonia "torch" and perennials dwarf Joe Pye weed and helenium.
    I also love the white echinacia "virgin," with its greenish cones and stems. It's a reliable performer throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have the dwarf Joe Pye weed growing in my garden, and it's just starting to bloom. It is such a beautiful plant. And there are several heleniums, as well, all of them terrific plants. That echinacia sounds lovely, but then I like most of them. They are favourites for me, and I've added as many as I can. And will probably add many more as time goes on.

      Delete